M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a brand new Springfield M1A Loaded and after getting it home I found out the headspace is 1.637". The reason for my concern is I have a bunch of .308 Prvi Partizan and I'm not sure it is safe for my rifle. The No-Go gauge for .308 Win. is 1.6340" and the Field gauge is 1.6380", so if I understand correctly using .308 in my gun would be pushing it? Please help me understand. Thank you for your patience.

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
You should be good to go until your headspace reaches 1.645, Nato Field. By then you will be broke from buying ammo to feed your rifle.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
up to 1.6385 inch chamber HS is 'within spec' for both 308Win and 7.62Nato.

I would not resize the fired cases down to 'minimum cartridge HS' dimension.
I would resize them enough so they easily fit it that 1 rifle.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
Thanks for the photo. That makes a lot more sense for SAI.
I totally understand the reading error. The spec printed on the card could easily be mistaken for the top of a 7.
Glad that one is cleared.
Now go shoot the heck out of the rifle.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Best thing I've read all morning.
I aim to entertain.ICONLOL

But seriously, I do need to get my eyes checked. My Son was showing me a photo from 2011 and said, " those are the same glasses you're wearing now". I normally get new glasses every couple years. I guess I was due for an eye exam 3 years ago and never did it. I'm gonna make that appointment.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.
Confusion, what confusion? Natural mistake, but you did everyone a favor, your post will sure enough make some go look again at their hang tags just to make sure of what is printed on them.

Bifocals aren't the worst of it, bad shoulder, hard of hearing, now where are the keys for the truck?

Did I mention memory lapse?

Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Even @ 7 had that been it you'd be in spec. 1 is better though lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
I feel like an idiot now. I just went back and looked at the tag closer and it is 1.631", not 1.637". I need to get my eyes checked, seriously.

This would be much funnier if you where the only one to do the same.....lol
In the Navy we called the parallax viewing error when it came to reading gages.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.