M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Just got my m1a today. But I have a problem it does not have a front flash suppressor/sight or a scope mount. So i was looking around in the net, since im using a scope I prob do not have to have the front irons, but they are always nice to have.

I do not like the looks of the top of this gun, and id rather have quad rail anyways but i can always get that later. I was looking at a 30mm tube scope so it cant be mounted too far forward.

http://www.thecountryshed.com/m14_m1a_scope_mounts.htm

I liked the whole top rail + 8$ rear rail attachment, but is this quality enough to hope zero on a scope? Are there any option that are not so expensive that work? What makes 1 mount twice as expensive.....

ANd flash supressor, what about this one http://grabagun.com/troy-m14-muzzle-brake-308.html

or this http://grabagun.com/springfield-inc-ma5049-m1a-muzzlebreak-stablzr.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
As for a scope mount, depending on how much you are willing to spend. A lot of folks on this fourm have Bassett mount. I personally love the Sadlak mounts, especially the Airborne Steel model as I have it on all my M14s.

The Airborne Steel mount does cost quite a bit, roughly $300, but its build like a tank (not investment cast) following the proven brookefiled design. I absolutely have no issue with zeroing, and you can still use the iron sights even with the scope on.

congrats on the M1A!

http://www.sadlak.com/si_airborne_scope_mount.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, problem with bassets is its 2-4 week wait, and they were pretty high. there has to be a mid grade 60-80$ mount that works well right? same with muzzle/flash sup those things range from $40 - $200 , again, mid range products, that are not bottom of the barrel but still decent and affordable, kinda like American Eagle ammo :p

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the. should I be worried about used baskets and people overtightning the screw? or would that inlay hurt their rifle not the mount. only saving 30 used might not be worth risk. thoughts? after research. last night I pretty much decided to buy baskets but didn't see the advantages going rail over scope loops. what's your opinion

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
A Bassett low picatinny mount is, in my opinion, better since you can move the rings fore and aft to suit the scope better and get the scope lower. By the way, Bassett is the mid grade in a world of $300 scope mounts. The $60 to $80 mounts and less expensive are the junk you don't want.

I had the Troy brake, it's nice, but I wouldn't get another one due to the attachment design. SEI is offering a sale, might want to PM Lord of War about how much the SEI USCG brake costs. Or go with a flash suppressor. Is there a reason you want a muzzle brake instead of a flash suppressor?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, for one, my gun did not come with one, or i should say, they removed it before selling to keep price down. I just want to reduce the muzzle of the gun from bouncing so much, the recoil is already small since the Vltor stock, but it does have some jump to it. ANd i don't shot at night time... so figured muzzle break was more for bounce reduction, even though most flash suppressors do the same thing as breaks, I really do not know much about either tho, stock flash suppressors on my other guns have been more than sufficient

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also do not have front sights , but those are like 70 bucks by themselves so I was just going to mount scope anyways and cant justify buying front sights right now

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
A standard front sight is $15, if you want the night sight setup or something like that it's more.

If you really want a brake, go with the SEI unit. The SA Inc. brake is not very effective.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Well, for one, my gun did not come with one, or i should say, they removed it before selling to keep price down. I just want to reduce the muzzle of the gun from bouncing so much, the recoil is already small since the Vltor stock, but it does have some jump to it. ANd i don't shot at night time... so figured muzzle break was more for bounce reduction, even though most flash suppressors do the same thing as breaks, I really do not know much about either tho, stock flash suppressors on my other guns have been more than sufficient

Since you are more worried about muzzle jump than flash suppression, I'd go with the SEI USCG MB/front sight. It also knocks off about 1 1/2" of OAL, making it a handier rifle. Optics are great, but can let you down at the worst possible time. They are prone to breakage and getting knocked off zero. Batteries going dead/etc. The M1 Garand/M1A battle sights are the most accurate/repeatable design-EVER. Spend your money on Iron sights first, get proficient with them, and then later on you can add a scope/red dot/mount, whatever. This is a common mistake made by those new to the M1A by jumping right into optics. You will be suprized at the accuracy of the iron sights. dozier

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i found a good deal on a flash suppressor that should do everything well. Now, where did you find a front fight for 14 bucks? I can not find anything close anywhere!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
. This is a common mistake made by those new to the M1A by jumping right into optics. You will be suprized at the accuracy of the iron sights. dozier

Well, normally this would be true. But, as I already own a DSA-sa58 fal that is using front sights/irons, I wanted a gun with a scope on it. And the m1a seems like a better candidate for longer range shots. Worry not, i got a scope mount that lets me still use irons, which i just purchased :p

So now my house is protected by 12 gauge by the bed.

and a .308 Fal and m1a in the closet :) now i gotta teach the wife to shoot them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts