M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am an m1a Noob and have a question for the smart people of m14 forum

are sadlak NM oprod spring guides and fulton oprods are compatible?

Im using a Sadlak spring guide and having an issue with the spring binding up the oprod. it binds up a little bit before the bolt stop can engage. If i take out the spring guide and spring ( USGI )the bolt is able to move perfectly.

I have a recoil buffer too but i took it off and it makes no differnce.

Just for fun here is a pic of my progress

Fulton by clos19851, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have seen several people complain of the same issue with new SAI OP rods here on the board. This issue has been resolved by polishing the inside of the op rod where the spring goes. There are several ways to do this. The easiest cheapest I know of is to use a wooden dowel in a hand drill motor with a split in it and some sandpaper in the split. This is commonly called a swizzle stick in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting. I have the exact same issue with a Fulton op rod and Fulton receiver, both late 2013 manufacture. Of course it was only after several hours of polishing the op rod "saddle" so that the rifle would pass the tilt test that I installed the spring and noticed this separate issue.

The technique suggested by MemphisMachinists might do the trick for you. My rifle seems to cycle fine with the GI spring guide so I just left it at that and saved the Sadlak guide for another build.

·
Super Moderator
11,118 Posts
The last time I saw someone on the forum with this problem, the fix was to replace the operating rod spring with a GI spring or a Tubbs spring. I believe commercial springs are wider. So, between a larger spring and a smaller tube opening, you'll have binding with a Sadlak spring guide.

Tony.

·
Super Moderator
11,118 Posts
The last time I saw someone on the forum with this problem, the fix was to replace the operating rod spring with a GI spring or a Tubbs spring. I believe commercial springs are wider. So, between a larger spring and a smaller tube opening, you'll have binding with a Sadlak spring guide.

Tony.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried swapping over to GI spring guide
* it helped alot, but i still get bound up

going to try the "swizzle stick" method

·
Super Moderator
11,118 Posts
Tried swapping over to GI spring guide
* it helped alot, but i still get bound up

going to try the "swizzle stick" method
Do you mean GI spring or the flat spring guide? If you went back to the flat spring guide, IT WILL KINK AND MAKE NOISE WHEN CYCLED! This is normal and okay!

Tony.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright it works cycles like butter now.

What I did :

-Swapped back to flat spring guide

-Swizzled the oprod to a mirror finish (helped with of zipper noise)

-Put a notch into the connector lock so the spring guide can fully extend into the magwell.
*the notch fixed everyhing

i tried using the NM spring guide again but it still gave me problems.

Thank you for your help everyone

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,706 Posts
Is the Fulton op rod 2 piece? Maybe when it was welded at the tube it had a little over penetration and has a little bump on the inside that is binding up.
I had a M1 op rod that had a little bump inside from the weld that I ground out with a sand paper cartridge and it was fine after that.

Casey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts