M14 Forum banner

New M1A broken extractor

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  evilgrin 
#1 ·
M1A Enthusiasts,

I recently purchased my first rifle, An M1A Scout Squad with walnut stock,

I put 10 rounds through it, and then reloaded and shot four more rounds and then...nothing...

I found out that the extractor had broken... As many have said I talked to SA CS and found them to be extremley helpful. Sent me a paid return label to send the gun back to be fixed and inspected. The funny thing is when I first posted on here about buying the gun someone commented and said that the stock extractor was crap and that I should buy a forged one.

I know Springfield will replace it with another cast extractor but do you think I should bother testing it again or just go ahead and buy the forged one?

If I do replace it with a forged one will it void my warranty? I was shooting 7.62 is it safe to even use 308?

#3 ·
...I know Springfield will replace it with another cast extractor but do you think I should bother testing it again or just go ahead and buy the forged one?

If I do replace it with a forged one will it void my warranty? I was shooting 7.62 is it safe to even use 308?
You won't void SAI's excellent warranty by replacing that part.

As for whether you should replace it, or when, depends on what you use the rifle for. If it is critical that the rifle is always ready and doesn't break, you should replace that part as soon as possible. If it's not critical, you can leave in the new cast part and maybe buy a forged one for a spare, or always rely on SAI's warranty, depending. Most of us have never had a problem with the cast part, but s significant number of us have, so for a critical rifle, I put the forged in right away.

I think nearly every case of a broken cast extractor happens fairly soon in the part's life. I've got several thousand rounds through my cast extractor right now, which is the typical performance you should expect. I have forged extractors in my parts inventory, though.

It is safe to fire .308 Winchester commercial ammo.

#14 ·
Whoa, thanks for posting! Never heard of this website. Gonna have to get a few spares. BGRIN1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.