M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just picked up a new loaded m1a a few weeks ago. It is a fantastic rifle. Accuracy was amazing right out of the box, I shot pretty tight groups my first time out at 100 yards and no adjustments to the sights! I have taken it out twice so far and people cant help but come up to me and talk about it. In fact I let an old vet shoot it and he was giddy as one could be...said it took him back.

Heres my question:
When a spent shell ejects, the op rod seems to strike the shell just right, causing it to spin and strike the op rod and walnut stock. It seems normal for these type of rifles to leave traces of brass on the op rod. Is it normal to have the brass hit the stock as well? As a result of this happening the wood has become "nicked and dented" by the spent casings. I called SAI and they indicated this is normal (some rifles do it more so than others). Is there anything I can do about it? I thought about buying a new ejector and spring from fulton...would this help the ejection process? It doesnt seem to eject with alot of authority, the rifle sends the casings about 2-3 feet forward and to the right.

I have about 250 rounds of 150 grain american eagle through it so far. I just want to stop damaging such a beautiful walnut stock.

Thanks for the input, and of course I have provided the obligatory new gun pictures...sorry for the poor phone pics, I will obtain better pictures later.

FRG1

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I's normal...You can put a piece of tape on the op rod, or enjoy the affection and love that your spent cases show your op rod. Aint no thing.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
448 Posts
there are a couple of things you could do to change the through pattern of your casings "such as dwell timing of the op rod or change/adjusting the ejector spring" but its much easier to put some foam tape on the stock to soften the blows
just a side note dwell timing is best left to someone with experience in adjusting it, not a do it your self job for the beginner

·
Registered
558 Posts
The stocks will take some abuse from the extracted rounds along the right edge of the stock next to the bolt area of the receiver. The case mouths may tend to notch away at that edge. It will wear down some and then it will not be as bad. You can sand that edge a little, to take the sharpness off. You can change loads (maybe), but from my experience the stock will still take some abuse, particularly the raw wood (stock not coated in a poly finish which many elect to do for wear and for other reasons) stock that comes new with a Springfield M1A.

In any case, you are not suffering a unique problem exclusive to you and your rifle. Its a battle rifle first and foremost and will show wear over time from its operating mechanisms....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah it's common. The op rod brass should rub off but it's not a big deal. On my gun the stock takes the big hits but they will easily steam out. Take a wet washcloth, put it on the stock and just hit it with the tip of an iron. They will pop right back up.

Thanx, Russ

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yup... it seems to be normal. I keep thinking I would put some tape on the stock edge, but I get so excited about shooting that I forget. The Op Rod was designed with that hump to knock the brass. So, think of it as a feature, not a problem

·
Registered
57 Posts
completely normal, i would have to agree with everyone else, the M1A just has to give the brass a good bye kiss is all

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Welcome aboard sir,
good lookin' rifle ya got there, and yes its normal.

I didn't mind the marks on my SAI standard, I thought it added character to the rifle. The rifle came with a civilian walnut stock - no selector cut out. I had brass marks on the op rod and stock.
I changed stocks when I found a nice USGI birch stock with some striping. I also installed a dummy selector kit with the connector arm. The brass only hits the op rod and connector arm, not the stock.....MCORPS1

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you have not tried this already, one way to attempt to change the ejection pattern is to change to USGI bolt guts. The extractor and ejector in particular. This might make a positive difference and it may not, might be worth a try. It will certainly change the extraction angle, just don't know how much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the quick help. MCORPS1

I figured its pretty normal. I really dont mind the brass on the op rod, I usually just take a nylon brush and a little hoppes 9 to it...good to go!

I love the look of this walnut. Especially now becuase I just put on a light coat of pure tung oil....in fact now that you guys mention it those little dings marks really have developed some nice character under a little hand rubbed oil. FRG1

Where could I find USGI parts for the bolt (extractor, ejector, and springs)? I see fulton, but I doubt there USGI for the price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey rawnerves,

I live in Bellflower too. DI5 Where do you go shooting? I havent been shooting regularly for almost 8 years but the last few weeks I have been going up to burro alot.

I have never had so much fun with a gun like I have with my m1a.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I usually go to either Angeles or Burro Canyon. Angeles goes out to 600 yards and has some nice metal targets at 3 and 4 hundred yards. They are both about the same distance so I go to Angeles on the weekends because it is less crowded. I use Burro during the week, because during the week it is quiet and sometimes I'm the only one on the rifle range. Both are in the mountains. Google Angeles firing range and check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts