M14 Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I mislabeled the part it was the gas cylinder lock that was too tight. Hand tight was close to 0400. I'm going to ship it back to Bula to have the look at it

·
Registered
108 Posts
You, nor the "old guys," wouldn't last 2 weeks there.
Wow! Sorry about the problems with your rifle. So Totally unnecessary. I have bought over 50 Springfield Armory M1A’s all with USGI barrels and parts and so far have never had a single issue. I am very surprised that a big name like Bula would let their quality control slip to such a level and produce such a rifle.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I mislabeled the part it was the gas cylinder lock that was too tight. Hand tight was close to 0400. I'm going to ship it back to Bula to have the look at it
see if it loosens if you can flip the gas lock. It is nice to have several locks to find the best fitting one. I never shim the gas tube - so long as the holes line up perfectly, I find the lock that puts it there. It is my feeling that the barrel will be tweaked if the gas lock is wrenching on it w/ shims behind the gas tube. Proper knurling of the op rod guide is essential to keep it centered. I have thought of taper reaming that hole...and install an AR15 gas block pin in it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Factory M14's were adjusted for windage at 100m by centering the rear sight and moving the front sight. As long as the front sight was not all the way to one side, it was considered acceptable. Individual soldiers would then adjust the windage using the rear sight.

While the original M14 was expected to have about 8 clicks of elevation to be on target with M80 ball at 100m, commercial rifles seem to have slightly different tolerances. I have seen several accurate and perfectly functioning rifles need a slightly taller front sight. LRB makes such a sight. SAI has a really tall one that they use on their Scout rifles, but that usually isn't necessary.
Is that eight clicks with a center or six o clock hold?

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
Is that eight clicks with a center or six o clock hold?

Danny

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
First, the accuracy standard was pretty lax. A 5-6 inch spread was considered accurate.
Second, they weren't using Service Rifle match targets.

That being said, it is my understanding that the front sight post was placed at the base of the tombstone.

Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Font Wood
Shirt Font Picture frame Art Room
Photograph Newspaper Publication Font Snapshot

When a soldier was zeroing either the M1 or M14, he was instructed to start with 12 clicks of elevation, in order to be on target at 275 yards/250 meters. The 1000 inch "Canadian Bull" target was used. You can find detailed instructions in Chapter 3 of FM 23-71.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts