M14 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

Registered
So in years to come guys might be looking for a "Josh Bula" like a Devine as the desired model?
5/2018 to 11/2019. And there ain't nothing divine about my rifles馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ. I built them well for selfish reasons... I loved every one of them and it was my face at the heel of the receiver when I shot them.

Attachments

Registered
Is that target 300-yrd reduced for 100 yrd? I am not sure how you can hold center-mass on such a tiny black. I just do a 6 o-clock hold on that target -

But maybe you need a taller front post?

Registered
I really don't know why they are anyone else would want to sell complete rifles.
They would do better to concentrate on obsolete parts and receivers and leave custom rifle building to experts in the field.

I wouldn't want the liability of it.
People are lining up to buy parts,parts kits receivers etc . And nobody supplying anything to speak of.

There are a number of highly qualified armorers with M14 experience to build M14's
Its up to these people to mentor and OJT the next generation of armorers.

The M14 is not a hard rifle to build ,what makes it hard is trying to build one with out of spec commercial parts and receivers .

If you had USGI receivers and parts kits available,people would be slapping M14's together left and right .Virtually plug and play.

I'm talking standard issue rack type rifles ,not precision NM or any accuracy built rifles.
That's a whole different skill set.
I was going to say the same - but he got it all covered. The M14 is NOT thrown together like an AR15. It is not hard to build, but you will most def need a lathe and other proper torquing equipments. The barrel timing is not hard either - but you will need a set of gauge to figure out if the bolt and barrel will headspace properly.
I use a precision angle finder -one used in the toolroom - to time the barrels. I time them all zero-to-zero w/ plenty of torque draw. If you follow the Kuhnhausen book - you will be fine.

There is not really a lot there in the rifle so not sure where the issues w/ these rifle builds coming from.

Registered
I was going to say the same - but he got it all covered. The M14 is NOT thrown together like an AR15. It is not hard to build, but you will most def need a lathe and other proper torquing equipments. The barrel timing is not hard either - but you will need a set of gauge to figure out if the bolt and barrel will headspace properly.
I use a precision angle finder -one used in the toolroom - to time the barrels. I time them all zero-to-zero w/ plenty of torque draw. If you follow the Kuhnhausen book - you will be fine.

There is not really a lot there in the rifle so not sure where the issues w/ these rifle builds coming from.
The biggest issue with most commercial rifle builds is out of spec commercial parts improperly fitted to our of spec commercial receivers. Throw in a little"lackofknowledge"
Voila ,problems arise.

As for Bula Forge , they need to concentrate on quality parts and receivers if they plan on staying in the market.
People want parts, parts kits, receivers.
People are standing in line for those three things.

They already have the forging dies ,equipment,tooling ,machinery .
If they listen to critique on product improvement ,adjust, produce, sell straight to public . Equals success!!.

People that cannot build there own will want a rifle built by a well known builder

If they want an off the shelf rifle they will buy an M1A and get a good warranty.

Registered
If Bula has good forgings and cannot machine them properly, maybe they should just send it to someone who can machine them properly. And do the assembly w/ their name on it. Even H/R had to enlist some of the Winchester and Springfield engineers to get them running when they got the last contract for the M14. Same idea can work w/ Bula if they are not able to machine the receivers to specs.

Fulton has no problems machining receivers and their heat-treatment is pretty good too. Barrels are all over the place from many companies. This could be so easy -

Registered
With all that is going on, they need to have a meeting with the workers and ask them what鈥檚 going here. Tell them if they haven鈥檛 been told that there has been a lot of complaints. And take care of what is going on
We are not there to know what is going on and Jeff needs to talk with them about it.

Registered
From what I glean from what is going on with my rifle it鈥檚 not the receivers or machining per se; it鈥檚 the building/assembly.
Yes , except for the one poster that had three out of spec. Receivers ( Bula's words ) most of these issues should not have left the factory , thats the whole point . There is money to be made out there building M14's , but they have to work , with out sending them back or having a Gun Smith look them over before you get the Rifle . The M14 isn't a toaster, nor does it cost the same .

DPMS had issues when they first started producing LR 308 AR rifles , the two things were Barrels/Chambers & Magazines, forums were saying how much junk they were , both the Barrels & magazines were from sourced suppliers , both were dealt with & they sold a lot of LR series . No reason any other manufacturer can't do the same .

Registered
Not trying to make these brothers experiences into a 3rd party (me) commiseration post, but pending this and also LSmith's rifle 13 days ago which he well documented with description and pics in First Bula I've been checking back for Bula's pending response. Among other's is Ren's post #64 methinks sums it up well. Though can't lay me hands on it right now I remember a great article on TRW Ordnance Works - Electro-Mechanical Group responsible for their M-14 contract's production which included a picture of either TRW's or SA's shop floor with a sign prominantly displayed on the wall stating approximately this: "Build No Rifle You Wouldn't Want Issued To Your Own Son". Maybe one of you boys have that picture with exact wording, but the message was clear. Now we as a Country lost it. Time magazine (now marxist bird cage liner) did a cover story on TRW engineers Wooldridge and Ramo: Computers, ICBMs, and M14s. All down hill since then.

Hopefully this gets completely resolved to both members here. I've never dealt with Jeff directly, but from what I've read seems like a stand up guy.

Registered
Tony Ben has both my new Bula and essentially an identical Bula owned by Chris17404.

Both were built by Bula about the same time - late November / Early December.

Tony has identified the issues and is contact with Bula and as best I can tell is getting results from Bula.

If Tony doesn't summarize when all is done and rifles received by their new caretakers then I will, to the extent I can. I'm new here and don't want to cross any lines nor disparage anyone, especially given I am largely ignorant about most of this. And I certainly don't want to harm a contributor to this site, or a company making scarce parts for these guns.

So let's see how this plays out.

Registered
I'm on a waiting list for an LRB M14 - has been 11 months now and probably won't be finished (due to parts shortages) for another 6 months or more.

As insane as this wait is, I'm starting to think it's worth sticking it out when I see the lack of quality control with the competition.

It's a shame too because Bula seemed like a no brainer over LRB - forged receiver AND significantly less expensive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So I must admit I鈥檓 an idiot. I was saying the oprod guide was extremely tight. I was actually referring to the gas cylinder lock. My apologies.

Super Moderator
So I must admit I鈥檓 an idiot. I was saying the oprod guide was extremely tight. I was actually referring to the gas cylinder lock. My apologies.

Tony.

Registered
I suppose I should also mention that the oprod guide was EXTREMELY tight. Took quite a few whacks from for a nylon mallet to get it in line when I disassembled/reassembled the gun to clean it.
Why are you using a mallet on the op rod guide??? I really do not understand.
Please explain your M14 disassembly / reassembly procedures.

Your elevation and windage concerns could be caused by stock fitment, a short front sight blade, a poorly manufactured muzzle devise and/or the tail of the rear sight aperture needs to be dressed to fit your receivers rear sight pocket.

Speaking about apertures, does the sight hole appear to be centered in the aperture?
Does the windage line on the rear sight base appear to be centered on the base?
Is your front sight centered on the flash hider or muzzle devise?

How does your rifles action fit the stock? Does the trigger guard latch tightly?
Does the forend of the stock pull down the lip of the front band when you latch the trigger guard, have you put a small amount of grease on the lip?
Is the forend of the stock free to move it side to side and up when you squeeze the assembled rifle's forend?
Does your op rod guide contact the stock?

That should get you started on the easy things to check.

Gas cylinder locks should tighten to 5:00 with thumb pressure, then use the proper tool to tighten to 6:00. You may have too many, or too thick shims (if any) or you may want the remove the muzzle devise and try flipping the gas lock over to see if it can be tightened properly.
Overtight gas cylinder locks can cause a variety of elevation and windage issues all by themselves.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts