M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

Registered
Good chance the people screwing these together are Jeff's boss's kids and just don't care. Heard this from someone that should know.

If these misfits keep showing up I may need to change the name of the operation to Bubba Defense Systems in my records. Too bad the anomalies seem to be in the majority of what we are hearing about currently. Sure would be nice to hear about the good ones.

What ! This coming from you ? Hell has almost frozen over 馃槣 lol

Registered
Nobody would claim this is a great situation, but in fairness I think it should be said that Tony is very meticulous and Bula has been working with him to get everything fixed. My sense is everyone is trying to improve the process and and get the rifles done right. I don't think anyone is running from or ignoring the issues.

At least that's the appearance from my situation.

Registered
Good thing about these rifles they are not made of plastic and tin and can be repaired right.

Premium Member
Awww shucks, Art! Thanks
I love the ones you nailed together too.
Ya done good Josh. Too bad folks didn't learn from you efforts. These ain't no ARs and can not just be thrown together and expect things to work out.

Registered
Hi, all. I am another person who ordered a Bula M14 rifle directly through Tony. This really makes me glad I chose to order my first ever M14 rifle through him, so as a Bula dealer and builder he can make sure it鈥檚 100% right before I get it. Mine had issues as well, and Tony is working with Bula on it. I trust Tony completely. I went with Bula based on their excellent reputation, and just want a rifle that鈥檒l meet that. I know Tony will send me a rifle that meets his personal seal of approval that it鈥檚 built right, has all the issues fixed, and will be a reliable rifle that I can depend on. It's just such a shame that Tony has to do all this extra work (beyond inspection and test firing) to get it right.

Premium Member
Let him answer that, he is here. He is the guy that corrected goof ups by the assemblers at James River so he is very aware of " how not to" make a rifle.
So in years to come guys might be looking for a "Josh Bula" like a Devine as the desired model?

Super Moderator
When Josh worked there, he always "hand-picked" any parts that came my way.

We have an un-spoken competition on who can build the most bad-assed rifles. Josh is hard to keep up with and hard to beat.

I am saddened to hear about and see these issues. I have a good relationship with Bula and LRB, and many others in the industry and want all of them to succeed. But being an external business associate, I can only do so much.

I really, really, really like Bula and LRB receivers, but every single rifle I have built on these receivers requires meticulous hand-fitting. Some more than others, but the end result can be a fantastic rifle.

I also highly recommend contacting anyone who puts out a defective product and give them a chance to make things right. I feel like I got a little egg on my face with a couple of recent Lothar-Walther barrels that either required extra work or that were flat out defective. I have a great relationship with LW and I'm working with them to help a forum member here replace a defective barrel. LW is a huge company and the customer service gal didn't know what my contact over there knew. I was able to contact the right guy for him and they're replacing his barrel that he bought through Optics Planet.

If you're in not in the business, you have the luxury of writing off suppliers. Being in the industry, it's in my best interest to maintain relationships with many suppliers. I'm trying to help our suppliers right any wrongs so you guys get better rifles and so that my job is easier with better products.

Tony.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well that sucks, 10 mph wind from behind ,RT at a 100 is not going to change your zero much. Change out the front sight. Shoot it a while and see if she settles in. If it does not change you can move the front sight so you can center the rear sight . As far as the op-rod binding, if the guild or barrel timing is off that much send it back. The mags may need to be cleaned and lightly oiled the first time to where in a little.
oprod guide isn鈥檛 causing binding it just took a good deal of effort to tighten it. Way more than what Tony says in his videos. They鈥檝e offered to take it in to look at it but I鈥檓 a little hesitant at this point if they鈥檝e already screwed it up this much. Forgot to mention gas cutoff doesn鈥檛 move either.

Registered
So , some are OK with an M14 smith getting a Factory built /purchased rifle before you, so it can be gone over to fix any potential issues before you get the Rifle , thats nice , but should never happen or need to happen. Thats going in the wrong direction in my view !

I purchased my SOCOM from a dealer & it has worked just fine , thats the way it should be .

Nor do I believe a factory Rifle should need any kind of break in , except for Barrel seasoning with Bullets going down range, should work right from the get go , period .

Bula was doing fine manufacturing & selling Receivers & parts . If they want to sell custom Rifles , they need better QC before it leaves the factory , that should be the priority period or it should never be boxed up .

Registered
I really don't know why they are anyone else would want to sell complete rifles.
They would do better to concentrate on obsolete parts and receivers and leave custom rifle building to experts in the field.

I wouldn't want the liability of it.
People are lining up to buy parts,parts kits receivers etc . And nobody supplying anything to speak of.

There are a number of highly qualified armorers with M14 experience to build M14's
Its up to these people to mentor and OJT the next generation of armorers.

The M14 is not a hard rifle to build ,what makes it hard is trying to build one with out of spec commercial parts and receivers .

If you had USGI receivers and parts kits available,people would be slapping M14's together left and right .Virtually plug and play.

I'm talking standard issue rack type rifles ,not precision NM or any accuracy built rifles.
That's a whole different skill set.

Registered
So , some are OK with an M14 smith getting a Factory built /purchased rifle before you, so it can be gone over to fix any potential issues before you get the Rifle , thats nice , but should never happen or need to happen.
I鈥檓 fairly certain nobody in this thread is ok with having a pro spend his time and our money fixing issues we didn鈥檛 expect or want.
But when you get handed this situation you either try to get it fixed or return it and go buy an LRB in a year or so, or place an order with Fulton and wait about the same time鈥.or prowl Gunbroker for a low serial number Springfield and hope it hasn鈥檛 been abused.
Sometimes you have to choose the least bad of nothing but bad options. That鈥檚 where I am.

Registered
I鈥檓 fairly certain nobody in this thread is ok with having a pro spend his time and our money fixing issues we didn鈥檛 expect or want.
But when you get handed this situation you either try to get it fixed or return it and go buy an LRB in a year or so, or place an order with Fulton and wait about the same time鈥.or prowl Gunbroker for a low serial number Springfield and hope it hasn鈥檛 been abused.
Sometimes you have to choose the least bad of nothing but bad options. That鈥檚 where I am.
Well said. That's exactly where I am as well, the same options I considered, and why I took the path I did with Tony. I am brand new to the M14 rifle, and trusted Bula's reputation. But I also knew I could depend on Tony to ensure the rifle is free of issue, so I could have something to learn on without headaches.

Registered
LRB? I put this rifle together in no time and that's how it shot the first 5 rounds at 200 with Hirt surplus. What a pleasure to build on. My lazy ass was 1/32+ off center on the front sight post so I didn't have a dead nuts zero windage.

Attachments

Registered
You, nor the "old guys," wouldn't last 2 weeks there.
It's not a back story that I either have the full set of details to comment on, nor is it probably appropriate to air on a public forum, but I would only add for the benefit of any others reading, including the poster to which you replied, that I interpret your comment not as an indictment of 'old guys' or the poster to which you are replying, i.e., don't take it as an insult.

What is on public record is that there was recently an infusion of staff 'New Blood' with a track record and pedigree in the industry, one of whom created a profile on this forum and had a lot of energy directed at getting Bula back to doing what it did well, when it did it well, and for reasons I know nothing of, did not last with the company. What those reasons are, I could only speculate, and that really helps nothing, so I'll shelve it and wonder, and be content to possibly never know.

Whatever it is, I do hope they figure it out, because I know they can turn out great rifles when the right ducks are lined up, and would like them to do that. They make some stuff you simply cannot get anywhere else that is pretty cool, and it's great to have manufacturers supporting the platform.

Registered
It's not a back story that I either have the full set of details to comment on, nor is it probably appropriate to air on a public forum, but I would only add for the benefit of any others reading, including the poster to which you replied, that I interpret your comment not as an indictment of 'old guys' or the poster to which you are replying, i.e., don't take it as an insult.

What is on public record is that there was recently infused in the staff 'New Blood' with a track record and pedigree in the industry, one of whom created a profile on this forum and had a lot of energy directed at getting Bula back to doing what it did well, when it did it well, and for reasons I know nothing of, did not last with the company. What those reasons are, I could only speculate, and that really helps nothing, so I'll shelve it and wonder, and be content to possibly never know.

Whatever it is, I do hope they figure it out, because I know they can turn out great rifles when the right ducks are lined up, and would like them to do that. They make some stuff you simply cannot get anywhere else that is pretty cool, and it's great to have manufacturers supporting the platform.
Not an insult to the "old guys," Muppet. The "old guys" would simply know better

21 - 40 of 68 Posts