M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just got lucky with my Heel Marked Norinco I found and I am already brainstorming my next rifle. I have a couple options to go for my next rifle. I would like some Opinions to help guide my decision even though this will probably just end up with me undecided.

Firstly I am looking for a Heel marked Polytech so if I find one for a decent price I will go into debt regardless.

But excluding the Polytech I am eyeballing a rifle that isn't a M14 but is M14 collector friendly. Its the Mossberg MVP 308 Scout. It is a decent handy little bolt action with a customizable trigger, lightweight synthetic stock, and a threaded 16inch barrel. But above all it takes M14 MAGAZINES! Price 500$

Mossberg MVP 308 Scout with 20 round SA Magazine

All my other options however are M14 based.

Second is getting a SA Super Match in a McMillian stock. We all know what to expect. Price around $2500-$3000

Third is a HRA or TRW re-weld with matching GI parts from James River.
Price around $2000+

Forth is a Fulton armory Barreled action with bolt for $1000 with a $900-$1000 M14 parts kit installed or built slow and agonizingly by buying parts slowly on PX. All together around $2000+/-

Fifth option is EBR or Blackfeather stocking my SOCOM and getting another Socom in a walnut stock.
Price $800+/- for Chassis depending on which one and $1300+ for another Socom. So at least $2000

Sixth option is a LRB Service Grade Rifle M14 for around $2400

Seventh option is a Bula M14 either built at Wolfe or a barreled receiver with bolt built with a parts kit. Either way it will be around $2000+/-

Eighth is a DEVINE. X Dollars

And lastly a Standard M1a for around $1200 and throw it in a random stock or chassis that I don't own yet like a Blackfeather, or a modified BM59 folder, or something.
Price around $1200+ for rifle and whatever stock/chassis +X$

WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GO FOR?

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Tough decision, but ain't it great to have choices? Not too far in the past a list of options like yours was "unobtainable."

I'm gathering Bula parts for my next build, but all above are winning choices my friend!

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
The mossberg is a nifty rifle. My only concern is durability of the mag retention system. Iirc, it's all plastic. You are all over the map on rifles that interest you. First define the use and goals you want for it. Move from there.

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
I just put together a Mauser M48 Scout with a 2.75X Burris. I am very surprised by how well the both eyes concept seems to work. Why the Mossberg with the rear rail? Why not the Ruger Gunsight Scout? I see it has a polymer mag, but also saw the abuse the mag can take. They run over it twice with a 1/2 ton in the video.

Reactions: Killashrub

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but putting a SOCOM into a EBR stock is defeating the purpose.
The heavier weight and non bedding system is for a steady platform incorporating a standard length barrel to obtain long range accuracy combined with quick follow up shots.
While it looks "cool" it isn't practical.
Again, just my opinion, not wanting to offend anyone who's gone that route.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Is a MVP (bolt gun) more accurate (better) than a M1A Standard (semi-auto)? More than a M1A Standard in Blackfeather? More than a Supper Match? Except that it is only $500 instead of $1300, I'm not sure where the MVP becomes a better choice.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is a MVP (bolt gun) more accurate (better) than a M1A Standard (semi-auto)? More than a M1A Standard in Blackfeather? More than a Supper Match? Except that it is only $500 instead of $1300, I'm not sure where the MVP becomes a better choice.
Not really I just decided it would be nice to have a little bolt action for suppressing. And since it takes M14 magazines makes it all better imo. A suppressed bolt action is much quieter than a semi auto is the only plus it has over an M1A other than cost imo.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just my 2 cents, but putting a SOCOM into a EBR stock is defeating the purpose.
The heavier weight and non bedding system is for a steady platform incorporating a standard length barrel to obtain long range accuracy combined with quick follow up shots.
While it looks "cool" it isn't practical.
Again, just my opinion, not wanting to offend anyone who's gone that route.
I already have a national match in a EBR. I just thought it would be nice to have a modernized shorty. The Blackfeather would be another option for this as well. But its much more expensive.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
In Canuckistan, where Chinese import M14s are inexpensive and very common, we have a saying,
As pronounced by the great Canuck Philosopher and M14 Guru,
Barney,
" Don't buy one, buy two ...
or else your dick will fall off".

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Buy as many Chinese M14 rifles as your wife will allow ...
and be sure to point out the "dick vs dickless" issue as your rationale.
Good luck with that ...
(;-[)
LAZ 1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.