M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new M-14 from Elite Tactical in Ohio. I have returned the rifle three times due to it jamming and more recently not being able to extract a fired shell from the chamber. I could manually extract and eject unfired cartridges but after each shot the casing stayed in the chamber with the bolt open, blocking the placement of the next round.
Gunsmith at club says he would check the gas system first for problems. The gas cylinder will not freely move, making a "swoushing" sound when I tip the rifle up and then down. Is this important? Vendors says he can fire the rifle without problem in Ohio. When I receive it in Texas it malfunctions.
Any thoughts from forum members?

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
watch tonyben3 (youtube user) videos and learn about the rifle.

Youve already keyed in on an important aspect.

That swoosh is the gas piston moving back and forth.

You preformed a " tilt test" only you nees to remove the action from the stock (again refer to tonyben3 videos on youtube).

If the gas system is good id make sure your working with a clean chamber and quality ammunition.

Make sure it picks up and ejects some dummy rounds and learn about the parts of the bolt.

An m14 is like a woman, take care od her and learn hoe she works and she will take care of you through the roughest of times.

Only in neglect will she let you down.

If he tested that rifle with say 120 rounds of brown bear ammo he may have fouled the chamber and if it wont manually eject shells the extractor may in question.

If your not the type to learn your gear and prefera gunsmith, do not take it to anyone they will break it or something. Find a qualified m14 armorer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
find a local in texas, if you have an import oprod it could be hanging up, the bolt needs to be fully closed for the extractor to lock on, bought a gun from chris oprod was Korean, ramp finish and depth for roller were wrong changed oprod to usgi and whole new gun

and as for all you punctuate and capitalize people I say punchcards

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm no smith. But without gun in hand to inspect it...

Bolt locking after fire sounds to me like a magazine feeding issue.
Which.
Unless you are sending your mags back to the vendor, they are using theirs and not having a problem with feeding the next round.

Have you tried using a different magazine?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm no smith. But without gun in hand to inspect it...

Bolt locking after fire sounds to me like a magazine feeding issue.
Which.
Unless you are sending your mags back to the vendor, they are using theirs and not having a problem with feeding the next round.

Have you tried using a different magazine?
+1 to the magazines. I have a few imported mags that I picked up cheap but do not work. I was getting just about every malfunction under the sun with them. Even though next to a usgi mag they are nearly indistinguishable they where not in any way worth the cost savings. Spend some money and get some real usgi mags that might do the trick.
Good luck getting the rifle running.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know it is hard but read what he said gun fires bolt opens without extracting spent casing-------either extractor problem or bolt is not closing fully and latching on bolt wont close withe new shell if the old one is still chambered

not mag would extract and not chamber, not gas would at least partial extract and jam, not grabbing head , bad extractor, and or spring, or bolt not closing -head-space issue

yes I am old and crotchety, I now understand the drill Sergeants of my youth read then do dont do over

·
Registered
289 Posts
easy checks
1 bolt open and locked see if extractor (separate part on oprod side of bolt ) moves freely little resistance ---missing or damaged plunger or spring
not this
2 spent shell in chamber head out 1 inch drop bolt closed does it grab some times yes sometimes no oprod

never could be headspace or broken/ damaged extractor
need ted

·
Super Moderator
1,027 Posts
You have mailed this to Ohio from Texas three times? You need to find a more local person to take a look. This is probably something that could be spotted fairly quickly from some of the experts on this site and also a qualified M14 gunsmith.

·
Super Moderator
1,027 Posts
I know it is hard but read what he said gun fires bolt opens without extracting spent casing-------either extractor problem or bolt is not closing fully and latching on bolt wont close withe new shell if the old one is still chambered

not mag would extract and not chamber, not gas would at least partial extract and jam, not grabbing head , bad extractor, and or spring, or bolt not closing -head-space issue

yes I am old and crotchety, I now understand the drill Sergeants of my youth read then do dont do over

Agreed. Headspace or extractor/guts.....

·
Super Moderator
1,027 Posts
If the bolt closes and fires for the manufacturer. The ammo they are using is most likely set to a different dimension than the OP's ammo. They set the headspace (perhaps incorrectly), test fire without issues because their ammo is a different tolerance. Then the OP sticks his ammo in and it gets jammed. Doesn't sound safe to fire...... I'd get the headspace checked. He could be manually feeding ammo into a tight headspace and then when it expands upon firing, it can't be removed by the extractor. I think the rifle doesn't like the OP's ammo.

My .02

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If the bolt closes and fires for the manufacturer. The ammo they are using is most likely set to a different dimension than the OP's ammo. They set the headspace (perhaps incorrectly), test fire without issues because their ammo is a different tolerance. Then the OP sticks his ammo in and it gets jammed. Doesn't sound safe to fire...... I'd get the headspace checked. He could be manually feeding ammo into a tight headspace and then when it expands upon firing, it can't be removed by the extractor. I think the rifle doesn't like the OP's ammo.

My .02
I wouldn't believe anything the manufacturer says, they are well known for saying anything. The last time I talked to Chris Thomas, he told me a bolt will not go into battery in a bare receiver, it must have a barrel installed first, that those old gunsmiths that I have been talking to, have no idea about new M14 receivers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for your input. I've taken each of your suggestions and listed them below. I made note of how many times I received the same suggestion. Then I watched Tony Bens disassembly and assembly video. I'll definirely send him a donation.

Your comments and Tony's video made me have additional questions:

1. If I can manually extract live rounds and then manually feed the chamber with all twenty rounds from a magazine could there still be an extractor problem? A mag problem?

2. If I can manually close the bolt and extract spent shells after firing, could a defective operating rod cause the extractor not to latch on to the rim of the spent shell after firing?

3.If the bolt is not closing, would the rifle still fire? If the answer is yes then this could explain the extractor not latching on the shell's rim. But why does the extractor work when I manually extract/feed rounds/spent shells?

4.Do you have recommendations as to reputable vendors I should use to buy a M-14 (I want the real deal,not a M-1A)

Thanks again guys

1.clean chamber and quality ammunition.(1)
2. picks up and ejects some dummy rounds (1)
3.Might be the extractor? Not grabbing this casing is that possible?(1)
4.Make sure the spindle gas valve is "on"! (1)
5.I'm guessing a 7.62MM rifle.(1)(2)
6.bought a gun from chris oprod was Korean, ramp finish and depth for roller were wrong changed oprod to usgi and whole new gun(1)
7.if you have an import oprod it could be hanging up,(2)
8.the bolt needs to be fully closed for the extractor to lock on(1)
9.bolt is locking open(2)
10.real usgi mags that might do the trick.(1)(2)
11.either extractor problem or bolt is not closing fully and latching(3)(2)
12.not grabbing head , bad extractor, and or spring, or bolt not closing -head-space issue(4)(3)
13.bolt open and locked see if extractor (separate part on oprod side of bolt ) moves freely little resistance ---missing or damaged plunger or spring(5)(4)
14.spent shell in chamber head out 1 inch drop bolt closed does it grab some times yes sometimes no oprod(3)
15. could be headspace or broken/ damaged extractor(6)(5)
16.Maybe someone, on this site, from the DFW area can recommend a reputable gunsmith....(1)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The vendor sent me the ammo he uses to test rifle. PMC Bronze. His ammo produced the same results. No extraction after firing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts