M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas couldn't come fast enough for me since the M1A was sitting under the tree. That afternoon I broke it down to check it out. When I tried to replace the trigger group it would not go in but would sit about 3/4 inch out. Played with it for two days and even had others try and get it into the correct position.

Returned it to the retailer this AM and they could not get it to seat properly.They do not have another loaded but do have a standard. They will send mine back but if it can't be fixed thinking about swapping for the standard.

Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
if the rifle was complete and assembled when you got it, im pretty certain that you are experiencing a minor snafu.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have to play around with mine for a few minutes but it always goes back in eventually. Mine is a loaded also bought new this past May. I just thought it was me. My M1 Garand I can get back in with my eyes closed.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My service M14 just "fell" into place so this no fit situation is new to me. The rifle was purchased new from a local retailer and the rifle is new.

·
Registered
135 Posts
First off, congrats on your new rifle!

Sorry to hear you have an issue already, but lets see if this may work out for ya;

Having worked in a couple of gun shops in SoCal selling my favorite rifle, and having handled a LOT of the new SAI M1As, I have come across quite a few that have had hard to replace trigger groups, and also VERY tight mag wells.

Make sure that the little "tab" or line down the side of the trigger housing lines up with its opposite down inside the mag well. Push the trigger housing straight down into that groove. You may need to add a bit of lube to it, but don't over do it, as you say it is a pretty tight fit. Wiggle the trigger group down as you seat it home. Left and right and forward and back. Either one of these directions as it depends on where it is getting the most resistance from as it is sliding home. DON'T force it. Just be firm but gentle with it. I have seen these not go in when forced, then someone else comes along and has it put in in under a minute. Strange, but it does happen.

On the trigger group, down the side with the line "tab", how much parking has been removed from its placement into the stock? If it is a really tight fit, you should see exposed metal, and the parking rubbed off. These will obviously be your tight spots, and will eventually "break in" the more you tear it down and clean your rifle. But, these should fit kind of snug.

I hope this makes sense and is of some help. Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What I would tell new customers to the SAI M1A rifle, is once they get it home, grease it up (and I would show them all the right places), clean up the gas piston as SA would put a preservative on it. Put it all back together and then go out and shoot 200 or more rounds thru it. Then clean the bore and chamber, and put it up till the next trip to the range.

I have found over the past couple of years that SAI's QC has been a bit lacking on a few of their rifles. I have personally sent several back over the past couple of years to get fixed for all sorts of issues. But, when they are selling everyone they make as fast as it gets put out for display, and can't keep up with demand, I do understand that some will slip thru the cracks. Thank goodness they have a great warranty department.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Check the magazine release pin, sometime they work thier way out a little and keep the assembly from seating. If it has come out a ways just bang it back in with a punch or something and it should go right in.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Check the magazine release pin, sometime they work thier way out a little and keep the assembly from seating. If it has come out a ways just bang it back in with a punch or something and it should go right in.
+ 1 Rawnerves.......Also, is the groups hammer cocked and the safety engaged ( to the rear) ?

Also a big plus one on the tight fit scenario above, if you look at the action with it removed, sometimes on new ones you will find burrs down it the bottom of the raceway or spline slot of the receiver. Get something like needle file or screwdriver and flick em out of there....lube spline on the group and try again, back and forth and up and down sliding, till it bottoms out properly....Answer to your question, No, I would not trade for standard. It is something simple though, or they wouldn't have gotten it in from the factory.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You might try fitting the trigger group to the reciever out of the stock. Check the lock and unlock of the trigger guard; function of the trigger/safety; fit/lock of the mag. Then slip the trigger group into the stock and look at that relationship. Then try everything together again. I am sure some will say it is pointless, but looking at the iteraction of the individual groups may lead to the aha. Does the trigger guard swing freely when out out of the stock?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
+ 1 Rawnerves.......Also, is the groups hammer cocked and the safety engaged ( to the rear) ?

Also a big plus one on the tight fit scenario above, if you look at the action with it removed, sometimes on new ones you will find burrs down it the bottom of the raceway or spline slot of the receiver. Get something like needle file or screwdriver and flick em out of there....lube spline on the group and try again, back and forth and up and down sliding, till it bottoms out properly....Answer to your question, No, I would not trade for standard. It is something simple though, or they wouldn't have gotten it in from the factory.
I think Rip is right on. I also put a smidgeon (just less than a tad GI2) of grease on the trigger housing spline that slides into the receiver groove.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went back to the shop and they had the trigger group "in". I asked the guy to take it out and put it back in. After waiting another half hour he got it back in again. Then we pulled it out and after jiggling it back and forth got it to go back in. Tried this twice more and although it was extremely tight it is getting back in. I am going to take it to the range tomorrow and run a couple hundred rounds through it to see if that helps any.

Thanks for all the advice and I'm not convinced the problem is solved so after the visit to the range I will try all the things listed here.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Just wait till you remove the operating rod!GI6
That's easy 9th! You just have to hold your head right under a full moon. GI2

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that trigger group being a little too tight to remove and replace....as you disassemble/reassemble the rifle over the years, it will get easier to do. Shoot the rifle and enjoy it!GI6

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have found over the past couple of years that SAI's QC has been a bit lacking on a few of their rifles. I have personally sent several back over the past couple of years to get fixed for all sorts of issues. But, when they are selling everyone they make as fast as it gets put out for display, and can't keep up with demand, I do understand that some will slip thru the cracks. Thank goodness they have a great warranty department.[/QUOTE]

For the price you pay for a SA Inc. M1A, even if they had a waiting list for them from the factory, it is no excuse to not have stringent quality control.There are many rifles made by various companies that have meticulous fitting and are less than SA Inc.'s offferings iin which we do not see quality problems with. Because SA Inc. has a lifetime warrenty, is not a reason to have a customer have to send back a new rifle that he has spent over $1500 for, and has not been able to shoot a full magazine from.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heading out in two hours for the range. Patience is a virtue, just not one of mine. DI5

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Please let's not let this turn into a discussion of SAI's QC. Let's concentrate on the problem at hand.

Please let us know how she shoots and if you have any other problems with it.GI2

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
For the price you pay for a SA Inc. M1A, even if they had a waiting list for them from the factory, it is no excuse to not have stringent quality control.There are many rifles made by various companies that have meticulous fitting and are less than SA Inc.'s offferings iin which we do not see quality problems with. Because SA Inc. has a lifetime warrenty, is not a reason to have a customer have to send back a new rifle that he has spent over $1500 for, and has not been able to shoot a full magazine from.
I'm not trying to pick a fight bluedsteelnwood, but how did your post help Grumbler with his problem? Any of these rifles, no matter the brand, will loosen up after shooting, disassembly and reassembly a few times. Why make a new owner of an M14 feel like he's made a mistake? If you know something that could help another member, then say so. But a post like this doesn't help anyone. GI2

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I have found over the past couple of years that SAI's QC has been a bit lacking on a few of their rifles. I have personally sent several back over the past couple of years to get fixed for all sorts of issues. But, when they are selling everyone they make as fast as it gets put out for display, and can't keep up with demand, I do understand that some will slip thru the cracks. Thank goodness they have a great warranty department.
For the price you pay for a SA Inc. M1A, even if they had a waiting list for them from the factory, it is no excuse to not have stringent quality control.There are many rifles made by various companies that have meticulous fitting and are less than SA Inc.'s offferings iin which we do not see quality problems with. Because SA Inc. has a lifetime warrenty, is not a reason to have a customer have to send back a new rifle that he has spent over $1500 for, and has not been able to shoot a full magazine from.[/QUOTE]

They put instructions in the box with each rifle on disassembly of the action from the stock,...they just don't ask for gunsmithing credentials from each buyer before selling them the rifle. It is a known fact that anything new will have tighter tolerances built in...parkerizing thicknesses vary, dimensions vary on the individual parts, etc,etc,...Any machining process will leave small burrs, even microscopic, that added together with heavy parkerizing and a potential customers new learning curve, could be misconstrued as poor quality control.

If a person stands on a line all day long and all they do is lock in trigger groups at the factory, their hands will be gorilla strong. Then when the customer tries it, they might have a bit of a problem, till they get use to it or it wears in some. I wouldn't be too hard on SAI over something as miniscule as this.

"There are many rifles made by various companies that have meticulous fitting and are less than SA Inc.'s offferings iin which we do not see quality problems with."No quality problems ?.....I have to think about that one awhile....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts