Registered
1,501 Posts
Bulky! 😁

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
898 Posts
I'm no operator, but... is it common for the dirt directly behind a steel target to react to hits on the front of the steel target?

And isn't it also common for hits placed accurately on a steel target to make an audible "clink" or "clang" noise when the bullet actually hits the steel (as opposed to making little/no noise as when hitting dirt)?

It looks like a neat rifle- I'm just kinda curious about the target shooting demonstration...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm no operator, but... is it common for the dirt directly behind a steel target to react to hits on the front of the steel target?

And isn't it also common for hits placed accurately on a steel target to make an audible "clink" or "clang" noise when the bullet actually hits the steel (as opposed to making little/no noise as when hitting dirt)?

It looks like a neat rifle- I'm just kinda curious about the target shooting demonstration...

It's call spalling. It my not penetrate but the energy at the point of impact throws splinters of the plate at a wounding velocity.
Just as deadly as the weight and speed of the bullet can make it. A big problem in early tanks with riveted steel plat armor and the aluminum bodied APC troop carriers. M113 was a death trap inside and we rode on top.

Helped pull two guy out of an M113 from the rounds from an SG43. They looked like one side had seen a high speed shredder had chewed on them. A mas of small bleeds and clothing in rags on the one side. Imaging a WW2 M3 Stuart hit by a 20mm AAA auto cannon.

Our 55g rounds had no effect on had targets while the 7.62X39 had a 1/4" X14mm steel core in the center. It would sail through lite armored vehicles and 1/4 inch steel plate. I lay next to a tanker in hospital who bailed from his burning tank after an RPG lit of the diesel in a flash fire. He was stitched from groin to across to right shoulder by AK 7.62X30 rounds. The passed right through him.and the closed him with stitching tied through small 3/4" plastic tubing. so the thread did not bite into the wounds in the front. No idea what the back looked like. His watch was burned into his wrist, the eyelets of his boots were still in his bare feet and his brass belt buckle still stuck to his body. Not much skin left but he was talking to me lucidly. The morphine was wonderful stuff to a point. I won't labor the rest of the bay on you it was just bad at the first stop.

Hospital was the worst thing on earth for me, I avoided it if at all possible and let the medics patch me if they could. Commo weir could close a lot of holes and they always had a bundles 4 or 5 inches long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts