M14 Forum banner

New in Vermont - and a Question

829 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  WaitForFlash 
#1 ·
Greetings all.
As a newer shooter and very new M1A owner, I look forward to benefiting from your collective knowledge. Thanks especially to those here who are active or retired service members who to keep us safe.

I have an uncle who recently started transferring some of his firearms to me to avoid any challenges associated with waiting for his estate to release things to me once he passes, let alone getting things from Oregon to Vermont. The first was a 1994 M1A standard with the marine camo stock - very close to what he carried while a paratrooper in Korea.

When I took it to the range for the first time to begin zeroing, I was barely able to turn the windage knob. Additionally, the rear sight base stopped advancing past a few clicks from mechanical center. I took it to a local shop and they helped me break down and lube the sight and reassemble, to no avail. They are national match sights with the hooded aperture.

I am thinking either the windage or elevation knobs contain the mechanism that advances the sight base one way or another. I've spoken to Springfield and they asked me to send the entire action to them. My uncle said not to, as a number of years ago he sent the rifle to them and they stripped out all of the aftermarket parts and replaced with stock. Instead he said to just send the sight.

So, based on the situation:
1. Any ideas what might be going on with the sights and what I need to replace?

2. Anyone else have thoughts about sending the whole action/rifle to Springfield vs. just the sights?

3. I'd be very interested if anyone knows of a high quality gunsmith/armorer in the northern Vermont area.

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
First welcome...I think your talking about a M1a1 Carbine that was used in WW2 and Korean war. If its a Springfield M1a its a copy of the M14 used in the late 50's till today...anyway...the rear sight assy has slot screws in the knobs, over tighten them and the sigh becomes difficult to adjust.... I may be off but as I recall there was a small ball detent on the windage Knob...Missing???. As to sending to SAInc No I wouldn't....some swear by them I swear at them. The Marine Macmillan stock is rare, I do not think that was issued with the rifle. Great stocks. SAInc will not just send you parts, you have to ship the whole weapon.

#3 ·
If your uncle was stationed in Korea during the mid 1960's he would have indeed been issued an M14 prior to the changeover to the M16. If he was there during the 50's, he would have carried an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine.

If your rear windage knob is too tight to turn, back off the inner screw 1 or 2 clicks. It will lighten the tension.

If you can't adjust the windage more than a couple of clicks from the center line, try raising the elevation a few clicks first.

The camouflage stock used on SAI rifles during the 1990s were USGI fiberglass stocks that SAI had painted in the woodland pattern used on military BDU's at the time. It was similar to the ERDL pattern used in the 60's and 70's.

#4 ·
You made the right decision in registering here this morning and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often VT M1A.

DI5

#7 ·
Thanks all for the welcome and the responses.
After a long conversation with Springfield's customer service, and a longer conversation with the guy who does the actual rifle repairs, I did send the whole weapon back to Springfield.

Now I sit and wait and cross my fingers that the faith I placed in them was not a huge mistake! I'll write another update when I get it back and post some pictures once I get it set up the way I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.