M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy from the nanny state of NY. Just brought home my first M1A and stumbled across this site while looking for info. Looks like a good group of knowledgeable people, whose brains I fully expect to pick as I suspect the configuration of my rifle is rather different than your typical users.

After drooling over M1As for years I finally found myself in position to purchase one. What was available locally that worked within my financial constraints (and thus came home with me) was an M1A Scout model, with a 16" barrel and a rail section forward of the action. I'm actually planning to run it as a scout rifle, and have mounted a Vortex SPARCII red dot on the rail; though I expect I'll need to make some tweaks as I go.

Any tips, tricks, or things I should know?

Thanks in advance!

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,124 Posts
Now you have made a good decision in registering here this morning and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often gaelrond.

DI5

Reactions: gaelrond

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida.

This is a bad influence type of forum! By that I mean you will now want more M1A's, more ammunition, more accessories, more range time. The folks on this forum are enablers, that's for sure!

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Start by watching Tony Bens videos on YouTube.
Buy quality ammo federal gold medal match 168 when benchmarking for accurcy.
Buy good mags, USGI , or CMI who also makes springfields mags.
That's a good start.

The search box is your friend.

Enjoy the new rifle

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Welcome from Southeast Texas.

First lesson: Be clear on the model of rifle you have to avoid confusing those that want to help.

The Scout has an 18" barrel and the SOCOM has the 16" barrel, unless the Scout has been modified.

So which do you have?

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Welcome from down south. New owner as well. The pre and after purchase info and suggestions are priceless here . Heed them without fear.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
A couple things to check if accuracy is a concern are -

Make sure when you tilt the rifle that the gas piston falls freely in the gas cylinder. Rifles that do this are inherently more accurate shooters.

Switch out the Springfield polymer stock with any USGI stock, Boyds stock, or any chassis for increased rigidity which in turn increases accuracy.

Check where the hand-guard and stock meet each other. If they are touching, remove the hand-guard and sand it a little bit so that it does not contact the stock at all.

Remove the gas plug, apply anti seize lube to it then reinsert it tightly. Some come from factory loose.

Do the pencil test on your muzzle device. Take a #2 pencil and stick it in your barrel but the end is still sticking out of the muzzle device and check alignment. If you have difficulty then the muzzle device may be off and might cause bullet strikes.

Look up shimming an M14 or M1A gas cylinder. Its simple, easy, and works. A good accuracy improvement if needed. To check if it is needed try to wiggle your front band. If it moves easily then shimming is needed.

When firing for accuracy don't rest the rifle towards the muzzle. Rest the rifle towards the magazine.

-----------------------------------------------------

Other things to consider that don't have to do with accuracy are -

Make sure you are lubricating the rifle correctly. Look up Tonybens video on lubrication on Youtube.

Buy a USGI extractor and other bolt guts and have it on hand just in case.

Get a US contract green nylon sling or 1903 leather sling for an authentic look.

Buy at least the M14 combo tool or get the full combo tool set. Put it in the butt-stock trap door and forget about it until you need it.

Buy only CMI magazines if you want no worries.

Buy more M14's for more spare parts.

-------------------------------------------------------

Welcome from Florida!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome to the forum, in less then a day look at all the info that has been shared with you. The best news is there is so much more coming your way. Good to have you with us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome from Southeast Texas.

First lesson: Be clear on the model of rifle you have to avoid confusing those that want to help.

The Scout has an 18" barrel and the SOCOM has the 16" barrel, unless the Scout has been modified.

So which do you have?
It was marked/sold as an M1A Scout, with a walnut stock and NY compliant so no muzzle device. It almost looks like a bastardized Garand, honestly. I've attached a photo if it helps.

I appreciate all the responses and especially those with tips/suggestions! I expect I will be spending a lot of time here as I learn my way around this rifle (and ponder my next one).

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
quote=Killashrub;2707234]A couple things to check if accuracy is a concern are -

Make sure when you tilt the rifle that the gas piston falls freely in the gas cylinder. Rifles that do this are inherently more accurate shooters.

Switch out the Springfield polymer stock with any USGI stock, Boyds stock, or any chassis for increased rigidity which in turn increases accuracy.

Check where the hand-guard and stock meet each other. If they are touching, remove the hand-guard and sand it a little bit so that it does not contact the stock at all.

Remove the gas plug, apply anti seize lube to it then reinsert it tightly. Some come from factory loose.

Do the pencil test on your muzzle device. Take a #2 pencil and stick it in your barrel but the end is still sticking out of the muzzle device and check alignment. If you have difficulty then the muzzle device may be off and might cause bullet strikes.

Look up shimming an M14 or M1A gas cylinder. Its simple, easy, and works. A good accuracy improvement if needed. To check if it is needed try to wiggle your front band. If it moves easily then shimming is needed.

When firing for accuracy don't rest the rifle towards the muzzle. Rest the rifle towards the magazine.

-----------------------------------------------------

Other things to consider that don't have to do with accuracy are -

Make sure you are lubricating the rifle correctly. Look up Tonybens video on lubrication on Youtube.

Buy a USGI extractor and other bolt guts and have it on hand just in case.

Get a US contract green nylon sling or 1903 leather sling for an authentic look.

Buy at least the M14 combo tool or get the full combo tool set. Put it in the butt-stock trap door and forget about it until you need it.

Buy only CMI magazines if you want no worries.

Buy more M14's for more spare parts.

-------------------------------------------------------

Welcome from Florida![/quote]

And bring beer!
CheersBEERCHUG1

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
It was marked/sold as an M1A Scout, with a walnut stock and NY compliant so no muzzle device. It almost looks like a bastardized Garand, honestly. I've attached a photo if it helps.

I appreciate all the responses and especially those with tips/suggestions! I expect I will be spending a lot of time here as I learn my way around this rifle (and ponder my next one).
Nice looking Scout that doesn't have a muzzle device.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Welcome from South Dakota. I see that you have been warned that M1A's are addictive. This is a true fact and if you get another, they will breed. The M1A is NOT a bastardized M1. It is the son of the M1 and is just a tough and just as much fun to shoot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome from South Dakota. I see that you have been warned that M1A's are addictive. This is a true fact and if you get another, they will breed. The M1A is NOT a bastardized M1. It is the son of the M1 and is just a tough and just as much fun to shoot.
Definitely wasn't suggesting the M1A is functionally a bastardized M1! Hope that didn't offend anyone. The appearance of my rifle with the short barrel and no muzzle device makes it look rather similar to a Garand. To the uninitiated, at least - I heard another customer in the gun store pointing it out as a Garand... Just kind of shook my head.

@wiz1997: It is rather purty, ain't it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.