M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a poly tech M14 and am now in the process of buying things for it. Yesterday I was at my local gun show and picked up a walnut stock with the correct stamps, but the handguard it came with was vented. Was the vented handguard an issued item or is it a modification someone else did? the slots are very uniform in the fiberglass and look factory but I am a new to the m14 platform and did not know if this was a USGI part. Any help on this handguard would help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its in great condirion had the steel "clip" on the rear (not sure if that is the correct term. Has silver painted bottom that is clean looks new with no overspray on the fiberglass anywhere and a small scuff on the top near the front. Other than the scuff it looks brand new. It does have mold marking on the underside.

Since reading this post I put it on and it looks good

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Love the vented handguard. It gives the rifle a certian look. I installed one wondering if the heat mirage was going to be a factor. No more so than a regular handguard. I make a point not to pick the rifle up using the handguard. I hear they did away from them because so many were cracking. Enjoy it they look great.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The vented handguards look unique and give your rifle that special combat look.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
None of the M14s we had in the Army had vented handguards (1975 to 1979) but I remembered seeing them on Gomer Pyle, USMC and I wanted one.

I got my M1A in 1978 and put a vented handguard on it pretty quick. No issues since then and I used it to deer hunt with for several years back in the early 80's.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
While I had the M14, Jan 64 thru Feb 65, we had plenty of slotted hand guards. The slotted ones look nice, but they allow rain onto the barrel, which causes rust. No matter how much oil one puts on the barrel, while training, or patrolling outside, eventually it will rust.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
While I had the M14, Jan 64 thru Feb 65, we had plenty of slotted hand guards. The slotted ones look nice, but they allow rain onto the barrel, which causes rust. No matter how much oil one puts on the barrel, while training, or patrolling outside, eventually it will rust.
1967, BTC Ft. Bragg, NC. Still were some slotted HG's issued. I still like the slotted HG's, have two on both my M1As. I stiffened both up by adding a layer of fiberglass matting under each, and reground out the slots. Slots or not, you will eventually get rust under the HG. Just have to pull it off occasionally and reoil. dozier

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
We had some Slotted Handguards Also When I Went Throught Basic in Late 1966...

Unlike Some of You Guys'...I Don't Recall Any Problems With the Barrels Rusting from The Rain!

Maybe My Memory Is Just Better Than Some of You Older Guys...

Wait A Minute...I Took Basic At Fort Bliss, Texas!!!

(Heck, It Could Have Rained Sometime There, Probably...)

GITEN

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I was in Fort Dix, NJ during both basic and AIT. We always carried the rifles, no matter what the location or subject. When indoors the rifles were always stacked outside, even in the weather.

The outside of the barrels would always been washed away with oil and rust would start.

When I got to the 82d, I was issued an H&R with a solid hand guard. Do not remember any of the ser. nos. of any of the rifles :(>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts