M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I just received my new Springfield Armory M1A (with which I have no prior experience) it came with one 10 round magazine. When I try to insert the fully loaded mag. into the rifle with the bolt forward I find that the mag will not lock into the mag well. If I download the mag to 9 rounds it will lock into place. Is this normal? Thanks and Semper Fi...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Keep trying, it will go. You need to install the mag at a rearward angle then pull the bottom to the rear. You just need a little practice. It's not like a pistol or AR mag where you just slap it in with the palm of the hand.

·
Registered
335 Posts
+1 to what Rubline said. My rifle did the same thing when new but always stayed a bit hard to smack a full magazine in with a closed bolt. After the mag and rifle break in it should become easier. If the issue persists check to see if it does it with different magazines. If it does, post again and someone will chime in.

BTW due to manufacturing tolerances some magazines can be tighter than others. If you get new ones buy only USGI or CMI.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It can be a little tight... I never notice because I almost always have the bolt open when I load at the range.

But I did just give it a little test. Definitely tight and required an extra little snap in.

- Make sure you actually only have ten rounds in your ten round mag - the last round should be on the port side.

- You should be able to push the last round down into the mag so that the round almost disappears below the side edge of the mag - this is what happens when you load a full mag with the bolt close.

When you load up the mag, make sure the tip of the bullet isn't jammed into the front of the mag... when loaded, whack the mag on it's back side to move the rounds to the back.

I recommend getting some snap caps to practice cycling rounds at home.

A good magazine is most important, however some mags need a little use before they are real smooth.

- not an expert, but have been there.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Greetings, I just received my new Springfield Armory M1A (with which I have no prior experience) it came with one 10 round magazine. When I try to insert the fully loaded mag. into the rifle with the bolt forward I find that the mag will not lock into the mag well. If I download the mag to 9 rounds it will lock into place. Is this normal? Thanks and Semper Fi...
I think you'll find 20 round mags are much easier to insert, just more leverage for that "rocking motion". Definitely get CMI mags, they work. Ask me how I know this....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gents, I appreciate the helpful replies.

You should be able to push the last round down into the mag so that the round almost disappears below the side edge of the mag - this is what happens when you load a full mag with the bolt close.
Excellent observation, I am loading 10 rounds and the last round is on the port side (BLUESDEVIL) but there is barely any play to push the seated rounds down further into the mag. I am thinking this may be a bad mag so I have already looked into CMI mags. Thanks again...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tight fit

When I bought both of my M-1A's, the magazines weere tight fits. You will find that the fit will loosen up with use. The original magazines shipped with your new M-1A is supplied by CMI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts