M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

In keeping with the tradition that you don't have it until there is a picture, here are two pics. One of her all taken apart for a good scrub and then reassembled on the bench, ready for the safe. She is a SAI Loaded with walnut stock.

Rifle came in Thursday evening and I took Friday off and the range beckoned. So I stopped by Wallie World and got some ZQI ammo. I know it's not the most accurate, but I didn't think I would be after 45 years since the last time I fired an M14. Settled down on the chair, tightened the sling as tight as I remembered, (not tight enough!), cleaned the old fogey-focals and proceeded to fire an 1.25" group with the first three rounds, at 25 yds. I know that's not great, but you could not have wiped the smile off my face with a bulldozer! Proceeded to do that over and over until all sixty rounds were gone.

All I have to figure out now is what glasses I have to get to be able to see the front sight post clearly. Hard to be accurate when the post is fuzzy.

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there.

JR DI5

PS - Bought a box of Brazilian .308 at a gun show and could not get it to cycle, one shot and FTF, clear, one shot and FTF, over and over. Headstamp was CBC. Anybody else put the have similar issues? Was in SAI stock 10 round mag.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
If your looking for some plinking 7.62x51, try to find some Federal Amer.Eagle 149 grain FMJ or try to score some of the Hirtenberger Austrian surplus that has recently surfaced.

One website I like to use when looking for ammo is gunbot.net. It's a real time ammo tracker and the nice thing about that site is it lists the cost per round.

Good luck!

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/308/

Reactions: Jarhead1968

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I won't even pretend I understand the science behind it.... but member ShootingSight is often explaining focal points and how to relate this to your doctor when it comes to your glasses. There is a "Vision" sub-forum here on the board. Im sure there are several topics on the subject. I found this one with a quick search. http://m14forum.com/vision/57770-shooting-glasses.html GI2 With some reading and a conversation with your doc, maybe you can bring that sight into focus.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glasses

Next time you visit the optometrist, tell them you need help seeing the front sight post. My neighbors are both optometrists and say they have people come in all the time asking for help with the front sight. And they completely understand what you need done despite neither having ever picked up a gun in their lives. (Yes, I'm working on that).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is what I have done on the sight issue. I wear bifocals and the bottom (reading) prescription is about a 2.0 and the top has just a little correction for distance. I need something to keep the sights in focus that does not blur the target. What I did was go to Wally World or your favorite place for cheap non-prescription glasses and get a very low power set of readers, i.e., 1.25 or less. Sometimes you can find a 1.0+. Get a round lens if you can find it. Try these. They will cost less than $20 and may do the trick. You may just need something to crisp up the sights without getting the target out of focus.
Good luck and keep us posted.
George

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I bought some safety glasses from member Shooting Sight that have a 0.5 diopter lens that brings the front sight into focus. Course, I'm far sighted (nice way of saying older) so your vision may require something different.

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
There are a bunch of us fogeys with the same problem.
For awhile I used a lense insert in a NM hood.
More often now I am using a scope.

Semper Fi
Art

USMC 66 - 72 RVN 67 -68

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes scopes can be an old fogies best friend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts