M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My name is James and joined this forum to learn more about the M1A and to hopefully make a purchase before the election. I have been over on the CMP forum for about 8 months and received my 1st 2 M1 Garands last month. I love the history and design of those old guns.

After learning about the Garands, I realized that the M1A was a step up, and I knew I would have to have one. However, I had not really learned much about the M1A until a situation happened about a month ago that catapulted me into learning about them.

I was in Cabelas and ran across an M1A that looked a bit different. It had a wooden stock and a springfield looking cartouche, and looked older than the one beside it with the brown synthetic stock. I got it out of the case and saw the serial number which was around 002600. I had read before that the “pre ban” M1As were somewhere below serial number 84000, and I knew those were more sought after than other M1As. So I thought it was odd that the price was only around $1300. The price tag also mentioned that it had national match sights and the barrel was marked with an address in Devine Texas.

So, not knowing what I had stumbled across combined with the fact that I had just bought the 2 garand rifles, I didn’t feel like trying to convince my wife that I needed to buy this gun. However, once I left the store, I couldn’t help but to think that it was a good deal. So when I got home, I started to research what the gun was. I quickly learned about the devine rifles and their value. The store was already closed by this point, and the next morning when I checked, the gun was already sold.

Needless to say, I was sick about what I had missed out on. If there is a positive side to the experience, it would be that it pointed me here where I can learn more about them and make a purchase.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
Welcome on board jrblanke, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great week.

DI5

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Roswell, Georgia.

The addiction has started - save plenty of $ for your M14/M1A of choice, then even more for ammo......

M1Army

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Welcome from the So CA desert

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Dang, sound like you may have missed out on a real gem! Welcome from MN.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another new guy from North Carolina

I joined this forum because I finally got my M-14 after many years of taking care of the kids and convincing the wife it was an investment. I fell in love with the rifle when I first fired it. That was back in 1968 at Paris Island. Then when I was lucky enough to carry it for a short while in Nam I was in heaven. But alas I was found and had to turn it in for the M-16.

I have probably forgotten more than I remember about the weapon. I hope to learn more here. So be ready for some questions. The first will be about a scope.Nothing fancy just something to help these tired old eyes. I know I need to get piccanty(sp) rails for it or so I was told.

Anyway, glad to be on board.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.