M14 Forum banner

New guy from Las Vegas, NV

975 12
Hi, My name is Casey and I live in LV, NV
I had to sell my last M1A a few years ago to pay some bills and would like to get another one, I have two complete parts kits my brother bought years ago and would like to buy a couple of bare receivers to build them.
I have access to two halfs of a demilled receivers that there is enough meat on them to make a "re-weld" out of, is this legal like it was to do a M1 carbine? the "auto lug" has been cut off. Thanks for any help.

Casey
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal.

Unless you want to get up close and personal with the crew at BATF you will forget about re welding the two halves of an old M14 receiver. It is illegal, it is producing an automatic weapon (I know it will be semi auto but BATF ruled once full auto always full auto), and if you do have them, they make great paper weights.

There are a number of companies who make good and legal receivers that will set you back a whole lot less that the legal fees involved.

Have fun on the forum and keep us posted on the builds.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Welcome from Idaho! I agree, don't commit a felony by welding the two halves. There are several sources for good quality, brand-new receivers out there...

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
Is it illegal to have them? the two halves I mean. the two parts kit I have are complete as far as I know, I might sell one to help finance a receiver, which would be worth more, a "TRW" set or a "Springfield" set? I have barrels and stocks with them.

Casey

·
Registered
927 Posts
Welcome and wait jist a danged minute on that re-weld!

Nope. "De-milled" is "de-milled". For a reason! In addition, you should be able to find some posts here or on other websites about the issues and problems attending a re-weld. Even if you had, magically, a cut-up M1A, the component alignment, dimensional accuracy requirements, jigging, heat treating and re-machining are truly a daunting task, and you'll easily spend way more than, say, the ≈ $600 or so for a good new cast M1A receiver. And then they'll come and cuff you anyhow!

About the only thing you could do with it would be to weakly re-weld it up to make a guaranteed-non-functioning wall hanger, and some vets actually want just that, a real one, (but inop) rather than one of those cheesy faker cast-zinc or plastic replica M14s. Ughhhh!.

Go for the new M1A receiver + bolt assy, and add in the faux selector switch if you want cosmetic semi-authenticity.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Keep us looped! How is Vegas these days? Quiet I hear. Sad. Good prices on homes though, and no so much rain... (!!) Probably lots of great quiet private places to go out and shoot too, huh?

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its too bad, these receiver halfs came from the same gun. they look like they were cut with a thin cut off wheel or a band saw, It is only about 1/16" short. He says he found them in Canada, it would be neat to take the rear half and make a bottle opener that you mount on the wall. How about cutting the back half off just behind the rear sight and weld it to a M1 Garand receiver?

tfvernon
Where are you shooting in the desert, I'm tring to find some where with about a 1000yds to shoot my .50 cal bolt guns.

Casey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.