503 Posts
Welcome from north central Indiana.

Congrats on the new rifle.

Todd

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Welcome from ChIraq, Crook County

Greetings from the Hoosier State. Old guy here who's been retired from the welding supply industry for about five years. Took Army basic training in first two months of 1969. That was my only experience with the M14 rifle, but I loved it. Since then I have owned/do own Springfield 03's, Garands, M1 carbines, G3 clones, AR15's, and even a couple models of Uzi short barrel rifles (yeah, I know, these just look like sub guns but have no happy switch). Over all these years I thought about my old M14, but never duplicated the experience--until now.

Purchased a SAI M1A through gunbroker last month. Seems to be a 2011 build showing S/N 266xxx. Previous owner mostly kept it in the safe. This is the model with the walnut stock (this one is pretty nice with one small ding near the butt plate). He had replaced the factory FH with a bayonet stud unit. (Yay, cause that's what I would have done.) On my first range trip, groups weren't so tight. In cleaning the rifle later, I realized that the FH was a bit loose. I ordered some FH pliers and managed a full half turn before it was tight and I was able to fully seat the set screw into a notch on the castle nut. We'll see how things go next trip.

A week or so ago the surplus M14 birch stock arrived--reddish finish with a sharp proof "P" and about half of the DAS remaining. Now today my Sparrowhawk kit arrived. Once I get it mounted to the stock, I'll post pictures.

I have already learned a bunch while lurking on this site. I doubt I'll be a very frequent poster, but I'll certainly keep using the available info on this forum.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Welcome from the So CA desert

21 - 30 of 30 Posts