M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forster 308/243/7-08 GO, NO GO, and FIELD gauges, Wilson case gauge, chronograph, and some cleaning drills. The chrono should give me something to play around with once the snow melts. I was happy to see that it was made in USA, not something I was expecting. Got a lot of 155 Palma Match and 175 SMKs waiting to be shot too...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Looks like the Dec holidays just keep on coming at your house.

·
Registered
46 Posts
gauges

Bricktop,

After reading many posts regarding the importance of headspace when reloading or checking for safe ammo, I bought the Wilson case gauge for setting up my sizer dies. My question is do I also need Go-No Go gauges as will? What is the difference between these two gauges?
I have always wondered about this and when I saw that you ordered both, I thought you might be the person to help me figure this out.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Forster 308/243/7-08 GO, NO GO, and FIELD gauges, Wilson case gauge, chronograph, and some cleaning drills. The chrono should give me something to play around with once the snow melts. I was happy to see that it was made in USA, not something I was expecting. Got a lot of 155 Palma Match and 175 SMKs waiting to be shot too...
Now you can figure out, not only where you are going, but where you been,,,,,why wait for snow melt, just set it up outside by a window at the kitchen table, and have the little woman put on some earplugs while cooking....haah haah ha.

Please post findings about the 155 Palmas when you get time. I am doing a similar study on them and would like feedback and something to compare to. I am concentrating on between 300 to 600 yards for accuracy from prone position primarily.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bricktop,

After reading many posts regarding the importance of headspace when reloading or checking for safe ammo, I bought the Wilson case gauge for setting up my sizer dies. My question is do I also need Go-No Go gauges as will? What is the difference between these two gauges?
I have always wondered about this and when I saw that you ordered both, I thought you might be the person to help me figure this out.
You probably don't need the chamber headspace gauges if you're fairly confident that the person who assembled your rifle did it properly. As far I as know (from reading around here), every good chamber should be able to close on the GO gauge. If it doesn't, it's too short and needs to have lugs lapped or more likely reamed / bolt swapped. It shouldn't close on the NO-GO gauge, but it should be very close to closing the bolt. It may even close on the NO-GO and still be serviceable, but be hard on brass due to a long chamber. If it closes on the field, it needs fixed. Me and my friends/relatives have plenty of 243s and 308s, so I figured they'd be handy to have around. So in short, GO makes sure the chamber is long enough, and NO-GO makes sure the chamber isn't too long.

My other rationale for buying was more along the line of Tim Allen: "who needs an excuse to buy a tool?" GI7

Now you can figure out, not only where you are going, but where you been,,,,,why wait for snow melt, just set it up outside by a window at the kitchen table, and have the little woman put on some earplugs while cooking....haah haah ha.

Please post findings about the 155 Palmas when you get time. I am doing a similar study on them and would like feedback and something to compare to. I am concentrating on between 300 to 600 yards for accuracy from prone position primarily.
I am itching to try them out as well. Only one gun shop out of maybe 10 withing an hour of me had them in stock. My M1A is currently on a truck to Mr. Wolfe where it'll be getting a new MMW barrel. To be honest I don't think I'll be able to wait for the snow to melt to try it out when it gets back GI6. I'll probably end up digging in the snow for my spent brass I guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for your reply. My M1A was built at SAI and has the proper chamber dimensions. I use the wilson case gauge to set my sizer die and everything seems to work OK. I guess I will stay with that. Thanks again, and good luck with your new bullets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts