M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I think I have a bad case of Garanditis. I NEED a Garand to go with my loaded M1A. Rule of two you know. I have been shooting the CMP rimefire for a while and now I have the Highpower jones. The M1A shoots good but, I would like to have a NM Garand. The question I have is should I get a Garand from the CMP and try to build one or should I have one built? IF I get a 7.62x51 can I shoot it the John C. Garand mtches? What do you guys think?

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Howdy Bighead,

First of all, The M1 only matches must be fired with a M1 in 30-06 to count for record.
I beleive you can use a 308 but, would not count for record.
The barrel must also be of standard issue weight and contour.
Kreiger makes such a match barrel with those demensions.

For the purposes you describe above, I would get a CMP rack grade woodless and build from there. You'll want to get a nice new walnut stock like a Boyds or even a weinig if ya go first class.

Others will chime in soon I'm sure. If I can be of further help, just let me know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bighead, I would think that Warbird is giving some good advice here, my M1s that I have from the CMP have been top rate. I might be wrong here, if I am then put me down for wrong but I belive if you have a M1 that was originally converted by the Navy in 1957 to 7.62mm then you can use it in Garand matches.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Pretty sure the John Garand Matches have to use stock or issued rifles, which rules out aftermarket match barrels in any caliber. I know that National Match M1 rifles can be .30-06 or 7.62mm NATO and the merely have to be externally the same as a standard M1.

Of course "Match M1" or "Match M14" is an oxymoron at the Camp Perry level, the M16A2 takes home all the trophies.

-- Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.