M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have recently purchased an EBR and am having somewhat of an issue with mounting the scope correctly onto this system..

I am not new to scope mounting and just have a few questions about how to maybe adjust a few things in order to make sure the scope is mounted correctly.

The procedure that I have taken so far is as follows:

1) take the scope to a mirror, and allign the crosshairs to ensure that it is correctly at true zero

2) level the gun, ensuring that the scope bases remain level with the action while tightening

3) apply the scope along with the rings and tighten in a syncronized order, while making sure the scope is level, to ensure prevention of tightening one side more then the other thus making the scope torque more to one side or the other

4) then I bore sighted the rifle, as I looked through the scope I found my problem, the laser was even with the horizontal crosshair but the laser was considerably right of the vertical crosshair(the scope is somewhat canted to the left)..

I have always have enjoyed using the Leupold STD mounting systems because they have the simple solution to this problem by having the 2 windage screws to the rear which you can easily adjust without having to adjust the windage turret on the scope.

My issue is I have never been able to come across such a set up for a picatinny rail system. So I am oblivious to how to go about adjusting the windgage for zeroing purposes with a fixed mount system.

I currently have some leupold mounts that are or very similar to the Leupold PRW tactical mounting system. and have it mounted onto the SAGE mount rail on my rifle.

I'm just sondering if there is any way to make such adjustments to make sure the windage stays on zero when I sight in the rifle. I for sure dont want to go to cranking on the windage just to get to zero like alot of other people do. I want to do it correctly as I have done on all of my other rifles.

Thank you in advance, and hope to hear some insight soon!!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Are you using a laser in the chamber? I found out the hard way that in rifles with a spring loaded ejector (M14) the ejector will push the laser beam out several MOA to the right. So it's possible that you are dead on even though the laser dot is off to the right...

I'd shoot it for zero before you fret about it too much...

Welcome to the forum! GI1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using the end of the barrel type. I'm really picky about the mounting process because I enjoy shooting long range and would really like to try and reach out there with this set up.

I would like to know an outside source for adjustment for when I go to the range in case i need to adjust it. I really dont want to move the windage out of zero while sighting it in. I want to save the windage adjustment for the adjustment needed to compensate for wind at longer distances.

that does make sence about the chamber type bore sighters though. never would have thought of that. Good to know!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts