M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to trade one of my ARs for a Springfield M1A Scout and I'm pretty excited but also nervous since I've heard both good and bad things about it. Any advice is appreciated. Also if anyone has a walnut stock they're tryna sell, let me know:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome! I have both but rarely shoot the ar’s. I would make the trade any day. What part of the state are you in?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! I have both but rarely shoot the ar’s. I would make the trade any day. What part of the state are you in?
Living in SoCal, San Diego, but travel up to my hometown in the Bay from time to time. Anything I should look out for on the SA M1A Scout platform besides the extractor and hammer?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Living in SoCal, San Diego, but travel up to my hometown in the Bay from time to time. Anything I should look out for on the SA M1A Scout platform besides the extractor and hammer?
YES! They are addictive and tend to multiply!!!

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,211 Posts
Welcome from the desert!

Make sure you get C.M.I. mags, I wouldn't waste time on many others. Real USGI mags yes, but there are many counterfeits and it's easy to get burned unless you do your homework.
m14brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome from the desert!

Make sure you get C.M.I. mags, I wouldn't waste time on many others. Real USGI mags yes, but there are many counterfeits and it's easy to get burned unless you do your homework.
m14brian
Thanks for the tips. The guy im trading with doesnt have the exact mag count yet but ill make sure to ask what kind of mags they are.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,211 Posts
You can use other mags of course like at the range or plinking, but many brands are not quite in proper spec and can cause reliability issues, so I guess I should say I'd only use C.M.I mags or real USGI mags when reliability is crutial, like when the SHTF or self defense, I don't know if those are in your plans for the rifle, but I'm trying to point you in the right direction the best I can.
m14brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can use other mags of course like at the range or plinking, but many brands are not quite in proper spec and can cause reliability issues, so I guess I should say I'd only use C.M.I mags or real USGI mags when reliability is crutial, like when the SHTF or self defense, I don't know if those are in your plans for the rifle, but I'm trying to point you in the right direction the best I can.
m14brian
Gotcha, i honestly plan on keeping this as a range toy mainly. Id definitely go for my ARs and/or handguns before this for self/home defense, but if SHTF it’ll be there. I appreciate the heads up regardless👍🏽

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Great decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often sd408.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. This is a great place to read, learn, and share about our rifles. Shoot and enjoy.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn well my journey might end before it even started. The guy that offered the trade seems to be backing out of the deal. I ordered some parts already but dont have the cash to outright buy the rifle.. Back to waiting for now i guess lol

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,211 Posts
Don't give up, there are a lot of rifles for sale, check the PX here and Gunbroker. Someone from out of state can sell to CA FFL to FFL if they remove the flash suppressor and 20rd mag and it doesn't have a pistol gripped stock, so look around!
m14brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't give up, there are a lot of rifles for sale, check the PX here and Gunbroker. Someone from out of state can sell to CA FFL to FFL if they remove the flash suppressor and 20rd mag and it doesn't have a pistol gripped stock, so look around!
m14brian
Definitely, just that they’re so expensive and it doesnt help that out of state transfers cost minimum ~$75 plus tax on top. The money adds up fast:(

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,211 Posts
Yes, it adds up fast, but that's the joy of living in this place I guess. We have to pay more for a fraction of the freedom. :cautious:
m14brian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts