M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I have lurked for several weeks and acquired a 2001 M1A "loaded"...well I traded it for a really nice Arsenal SLR-101s...and really regretted it. There is something about an M1A's feel and history that immediately drew me right back. I just traded the Arsenal for what I believe to be a "Golden Age" M1A standard with the factory Woodland Camo stock (prior owner also included a nice USGI wooden stock too) and ARMS mount. I have included some photos (sorry for the included feet) below and hope to get to the range soon!

Any sling suggestions for target and hunting use? Read a few things about the factory camo stock paint job maybe have durability issues...should I drop it in the USGI stock that was included?

Thanks for any information or suggestions and I really appreciate the great forum and members that are here!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Welcome aboard and welcome back to the '14. Looks like you have a very nice M1A, I'd say she's a keeper. I like that stock. Of course that or the walnut is your preference. You will get some flex in the forearm on the fiberglass (many reinforce it, there's plenty info here on that) that may affect accuracy if you sling up tight.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Welcome aboard. Are you a member of Austin Rifle Club? If not, check it out. http://austinrifleclub.org/

For sling, get a USGI or this http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX0081&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=e6153f3d-25b5-4ed9-862a-e0189af61ab6

I've used the same Armalite sling for the last 7 shooting seasons. For sling shooting, the web slings are superior to the leather. They are infinitely adjustable and you can make fine adjustment without breaking down position to make up for the uneven ground on your firing point.

We shoot high power matches at ARC on the first Sunday of the month, come join us with your new toy.

·
Registered
10,563 Posts
You camo stock is a USGI fiberglass stock that Springfield Armory painted.

Use the one that gives the best accuracy.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Welcome aboard! Always nice to welcome another citizen of the Republic of Texas. Very nice rifle you have there!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The camo stock was factory done as confirmed by springfield. This was my buddy's, he was reluctant to let it go but he has 2 all TRW rifles I sent him after while I didn't have money after blowing it all on other M1As. :) it's a great rifle and you shouldn't be disappointed. Congrats on a great rifle!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Welcome from Maine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for your welcome and especially the sling suggestion! I recently moved after spending about 6 years in the Richmond, Virginia area (Tappahannock) and am actually a North Georgia native (Marietta/Rome).

Took her to an indoor range with some Lake City 147 grain and fired pretty well! Only gripe with the front blade sight in the dim indoor range made it hard to make shots over about 40 yards...any suggestions on the front sight or is this something I need to get used to and cope with?

I guess I could also make use of the ARMS mount and slap on an optic...any suggestions for under $600 (may use for hog/deer harvesting)?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Thanks everyone for your welcome and especially the sling suggestion! I recently moved after spending about 6 years in the Richmond, Virginia area (Tappahannock) and am actually a North Georgia native (Marietta/Rome).

Took her to an indoor range with some Lake City 147 grain and fired pretty well! Only gripe with the front blade sight in the dim indoor range made it hard to make shots over about 40 yards...any suggestions on the front sight or is this something I need to get used to and cope with?

I guess I could also make use of the ARMS mount and slap on an optic...any suggestions for under $600 (may use for hog/deer harvesting)?
Welcome.

Check out SWFA for an optic in your range. I believe their 1x4 is $600. They also have a page where they have open-box deals that's updated daily.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Welcome aboard from E. Kentucky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts