M14 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
I can learn to navigate any format. I had to get a smart phone after Verizon wouldn't let me use a new flip phone.
Search function? I searched for "piston chat" by ArtL. His post floated to the top. This change might be OK.
i left a wood turning forum because they wanted to charge me to view pics posted by other members. I hoe ot here.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I woke up this morning thinking that this new version of the M14 forum had been just a bad dream but.....NOPE.....it's still here, M1 carbine image and all. What a letdown!

·
Registered
472 Posts
When I first saw the new look of the page, I wondered if the link had been highjacked. Then I looked for my favorite page “Home”, nope . . . not the same one! Then I navigated through all the posts I could find and discovered that this forum was going to be a lot different from no on and considered leaving and reluctantly rejoining the “other“ M14 place.
The more I navigated through the various threads, I occurred to me that all the members of the forum were still here with their knowledge, their values, their sense of humor, and their occasional grouchiness but mostly with their dedication to this platform was intact. In a sense, these are the reasons I truly enjoy and value the time I spend here.
It is hard to accept change for the sake of change such as when one has to give up a comfortable old pair of shoes or that favorite T-shirt. But I am not willing to give up access to the wealth of knowledge and information the members selflessly share on a daily basis. It would be a shame and a real loss if any one of us decided to migrate from this forum without giving it a chance by learning to navigate this new format.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I’m ok with it. This is about the 6th time we’ve changed it up since the days when it was battlerifles.com

Looks like we didn’t lose any data this time which is nice. My actual join date is probably before Oct 2001 but my stuff went mia in a server adjustment at least once. Looks like I had over 3800 posts when my 30Cal profile expired.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Surely ya'll have seen software changes over the years.
What did you do when something changed?
Gripe about it, then finally accept it.
My first computer, which I still have, was a Commodore 64 with a whopping 8 bit hard drive.
Now I have a computer with a terabyte hard drive.
I've been "forced" to upgrade my computer several times over the years and "forced" to upgrade software.
It has become another part of life.
Yes, Wiz, we have been "Forced" to change but that doesn't mean we have to "like"it. I'll give it a run to see if it gets better but if it doesn't, I'll go to my range.

·
Registered
Save the Country - Vote Libertarian
146 Posts
LOL as an IT professional it's not surprising to see this much pushback from a forum of older dudes. I like the new format personally, although I was definitely used to the old one

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I was wondering when it would come. The old format was like a comfortable pair of shoes, I didn't want to see it go. They did this to the Full Size Bronco forum about 4 months ago and it hasn't been the same since. All the favorites I had categorized so I could find them faster are no longer categorized. It takes a LOT of getting used to.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I like it, much more simpler and friendlier interface.
I disagree. Vbulletin was simpler and friendlier. Now I'm constantly having to scroll past ads mixed in with actual posts. I certainly can't navigate like I could before.

I would have been willing to pay to use the old format but have been told that's not possible now.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I'm going to check in at m14br.com from time to time just to see the mass snowflake exodus when that one changes. I'd put a laughing moticon here, but then I'd be banned again.
I left a couple of other forums because the moderator led cliques were dic__ uh "Richards". They didn't miss me. I don't miss them. I have a life outside of this.
[/Q
I disagree. Vbulletin was simpler and friendlier. Now I'm constantly having to scroll past ads mixed in with actual posts. I certainly can't navigate like I could before.

I would have been willing to pay to use the old format but have been told that's not possible now.
I know what you are talking about, there is one on this forum and he tends to chase off all the high class play(Tomb Stone). If it were not for him, I would spend much more time on the other forum. Now it looks like I will be there in spite of that person.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What’s with DOB required to register at m14br? No discussion forum owner needs that info. As far as I’m concerned that’s part of building a sellable database that’s easily cross referenced. Data mining is what the kids call it, right? Not onboard with that. Didn’t have to do it here. Sick of all the invasive data requests, Tractor Supply asks for my phone number every time I buy dog food. I tell them they don’t need that just take my money. And, nobody needs my DOB to join a discussion forum. Okay, all you computer guys can pile on now but it’s not going to change my thinking.

·
Registered
407 Posts
According to what I read over there, it is only used for COPPA which monitors kids under the age of 18.
what's to keep anyone from putting down a fake DOB anyway?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well budster it’s the principle of the thing. And using your reasoning a ten year old could use a fake DOB so what’s the point of the methodology? And, I shouldn’t have to BS my way through the world with little lies and deceit. Just sayin’.

161 - 180 of 207 Posts