M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Fulton Armory built polytech M14S. Rifle started as a near new (less than 300 rounds) Polytech that went to Fulton Armory for the complete service grade conversion with additional upgrades. The only Polytech component remaining is the forged receiver. Rifle has a new (purchased in the tube and sent to Fulton Armory for the rifle) SAK standard weight NM barrel, TRW bolt, TRW op-rod, and TRW trigger assembly. All components used to build the rifle are G.I.. Upgrades to the package performed by Fulton Armory consist of a NM trigger job, unitized NM gas system (welded), polished NM gas piston, and a laminated stock. Rifle also has a NM op-rod spring guide, and an ARMS #18 scope mount (old style) which was mounted by Fulton Armory. Rifle is currently equipped with a Smith Enterprise muzzle break, as I reside in California. Rifle came with a new Turner NM sling, 3 new 10 round mags, 2 used 10 round mags, a complete butt-stock G.I. cleaning/tool kit, and both a gas cylinder wrench and gas piston cleaning tools for cleaning the gas system. Rifle took almost one year to be completed, and has never been shot since the conversion, i.e. it is new.
It is at my FFL for its 10 day waiting period, I am leaving on an extended camping (shooting - 1K SA & 3K Port) trip in the High Sierras after picking up.

Merlinn

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Sounds like ya certainly have got yourself a nice one there Merlin ... :wink:

Got everything on it but the kitchen sink and it oughtta sing like a canary ... :D

Do give us a rangr eeport when ya return ... Have Fun ... Stay Safe ... And enjoy that puppy to its fullest ... :wink:

Got any pics???

Six

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No pics yet as it is still in jail, 6 more days...

This is my first M14 and I really wanted to do it right. These boards have been so helpful in educating me as to what really counts and what doesnt.

I can not wait to hear it at 7000 ft and a lot of granite walls!!!!!

Merlinn

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
merlinn,

I feel your pain...the 10 day wait is a killer. Be sure to report back to us with some pictures of your new toy 8)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Merlinn:

Welcome Aboard!!! That is going to be an awesome beauty... can't wait for you to get it and to post some pics...

Very Cool, Sir!

Aloha and I hope the wait goes quickly!

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Chineez M14's fixed up or SA M1A

I'm asking this dumb question because I don't know any better. Why buy
a Chineez M14 & spend several if not 4 or $500. to have the guru's tweak it if you can spend around 12 to $1,500. on a SA M1A completed?
I have an SA M1A w/ the good scope mnt & mil-dot scope. It's sweet. Gonna hunt Elk with it next month. I also just got a Fed. Ord which seems to be in good shape but Fulton Armory says they are unsafe to shoot. Others on this board have given me some good news about the Fed Ord M14SA. Havn't had a chance to shoot it yet as I want a smith to check it out first. I'm a new M14 nut. Can you guy's remember when you only had 2? WTPIII

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Merlinn: Hot damn, that sounds like a fine rifle, congrats!!! :D

I love those SAK NM GI contour barrels. I have one on my preban M1A and they are excellent barrels.

I've got a Poly that I just had converted to all-SA USGI parts. Like yours, the only remaining chinese part is the receiver (well, the bolt stop & connector lock are still chinese too).

William Tell: Some people want a receiver that's as close to a real M14 receiver as possible (dimensions & forged steel). If you ever get a chance, look at the underside of a demilled M14 rear receiver half & then look at the underside of an M1A and a poly or norinco. You'll begin to see a little of what I mean.

That's why I have an LRB receiver on order too. 8O

Well, either that or I'm just a sheep following the herd... baaaaaaa!!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
William Tell,
We M14 Junkies tend to be a little anal about our babies. We fluff em and brush em, but most of all we love em. We are always trying to create the ultimate M14. With the PolyTech receiver and USGI parts you get the best of both worlds. You get the quality and durability of USGI parts on a forged receiver with excellent geometry.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
FED ORD reciever

:) Hi Guy's,
Just heard from the gunsmith about my newest baby-Fed Ord M14SA. Good GI reciever is mi-spec. Everything is A-OK. Is this reciever more like the original M14 than my M1A? Thanx William Tell

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
WTPIII, Fed Ord is not a G.I. recicver they are all investment cast and them finnished machined some of there early rifles were put together with all G.I. parts and make fine shooters, later rifles were put together with parts from China and have a reputation for being out of spec and unsafe!!
Just so you know Springfield Inc, Armscorp, Fulton Armory, Smith Ent, Maunz, Smith Inc, A.R.Sales Co have all made or make cast receivers from 8620 alloy.I might have missed some here.
The early Smith Enterprise receiver is the one and only DROPED forged unit and go for BIG!!! money when there found. Each of these receivers is/was built to strict U.S. ordnance standards. Rumor has it that Ron Smith is going to do a small run of forged receivers again so I`m saving NOW!!
Entreprise Arms and LRB Arms and rolled forged 8620 steel billet then CNC machined. Kind of like a steel tootsie rool.
Hope this Info helps

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Phil: The LRB receivers are hammer forged, not roll forged.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Sorry, on the LRB, I got ahead of my self the brain was at warp factor 9 and the fingers were at hunt and peck mode

1 - 12 of 12 Posts