M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my rifle set up in a new Troy MCS. I really like the setup and the way it feels right now but I have a hankering for a 18.5" barrel. (Seems like this has been mentioned alot lately...)

I have a mint Chinese barrel here and was contemplating having it chopped to 18.5 and threaded. The rifle will be for general use so I don't need it weighing 20+ lbs.

I guess my biggest dilemma is the thread pitch.... I was thinking 1/2x28 and have a wide choice of breaks/hides/suppressors etc... OR having it set to the metric threads for a FAL type hider. I have several different types here including the FN2000 version and I know they work well from experience on my PARA Fal...

nit pick it apart please...
thoughts?????

·
Registered
28 Posts
I suggest you do a 5/8"-24 Right-Hand thread. That is the thread the is standard on the AR-10 platform, so there is a ton of muzzle accessories out there. You can get everything from Vortex flash hiders to sound suppressors in that thread pattern. I did my Saiga 308 and am very pleased at the amount of flash hiders out there.

I think 1/2"-28 is a little small for the .308 platform. You will probably want 5/8"-24RH or bigger. Not to mention, many of the flash hiders, muzzle breaks or QD sound suppressor mounts will need to be opened up to work with .308.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I just got in a FSC30 from NoKick. It's got a 5/8x24 and shims to dial it straight up.
You'd have quite a few options with that thread.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I suggest you do a 5/8"-24 Right-Hand thread. That is the thread the is standard on the AR-10 platform, so there is a ton of muzzle accessories out there. You can get everything from Vortex flash hiders to sound suppressors in that thread pattern. I did my Saiga 308 and am very pleased at the amount of flash hiders out there.

I think 1/2"-28 is a little small for the .308 platform. You will probably want 5/8"-24RH or bigger. Not to mention, many of the flash hiders, muzzle breaks or QD sound suppressor mounts will need to be opened up to work with .308.
There's not enough barrel diameter for a 5/8-24 thread on a standard dimension M14 barrel (like the Chinese barrel the OP referenced).

I had my Chinese barrel cut to Scout length and had it threaded 1/2-28. I also had the smith (Moses at FALFILES) ream a SEI AR-15 Vortex to pass a .308 projectile. It makes for a nice package since the AR-15 Vortex is a bit smaller than a .308 Vortex. There are 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 thread adapters out there, too.

BD

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments guys...I think I have decided to go with the FAL threads as the likelihood of me getting a suppressor are minimal. I have plenty of different FAL hiders to chose from and I think the FN2000 will be my first choice. I'll try and post some pics later.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok....finally got it together today...and here it is...

It's about 4" longer than an M4 and seems to handle well...
I have several scope options including and older Leupy L&S early M4 10X but I don't have rings for it yet.

I'll probably end up zeroing it with the Bushnell to see how its shooting accuracy wise..

Still need to do a little more work on it as the oprod guide while snug on the barrel the pin was loose in the Chinese pin slot...may have to weld it up or drill out the retaining pin and make it larger. Can't wait to take it to the range!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bathroom scale says 11.2 lbs w/o mag and just the BUIS and sling. Center of balance is right at the mag well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick range report...had time to do a little shooting today....got 2" groups with Argie Ball and the old bushnell scope at 100yds. Came home and found the Oprod guide is loose so I'll need to fix that and lap the lugs. Not bad for only 40 rounds.

A few little tweaks and I'll give it another test...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awsome looking 14, May I ask who the stock MFR is and who you got it from? I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my old Fed Ordance M14/1.

ANGMSG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jeremy2171

Thanks, sorry to take so long to say so. I have a terminaly ill father in law. That is taking up a lot of our time right now.

ANGMSG

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Latest update...swapped out and put an ELCAN scope on it...haven't tried the ACOG yet as the eye relief on the ELCAN seems MUCH better.

Ran this in a steel plate match and dropped 3 "headshot" 8x13" plates at 200yds offhand in 3.65 sec....I was stoked! Ammo was '83 Argie ball...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not a fan of the M145.... bla

Also looks like you swapped out to a A2 stock?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
M145 seems ok for the steel plates..I do have the Leupold Mk4 for long range stuff...haven't really tried the ACOG (TA-31F) yet...it may turn out better.

The stock is not an A2 but a early "no-trap" stock. Still haven't decided on it or the M4 style...thats the cool thing about this is now I get to swap stuff around whenever I want! :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
troys are very nice just heavy. mine wieghs 13.5lbs with mag i think. but a very well made chassis and i totaly get it being able to swap things around. very nice rifle. now name her

1 - 20 of 20 Posts