M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...I am new to this forum and to M1A/M14's but guns have been my passion for 35 years That means I'm adamant that I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to this format.

I have recently aquired a Standard Springfield M1A that I have fallen in love with. And you know what happens then...you attempt to change them to be what you want....for their own good.

I'm in SW Ohio and and recently tired. I mean retired.

I'm looking to make this rifle a bit better.I understand that the trigger and hammer are a good place to start to waste money on by changing them out. I saw a set by Shootingsight to the tune of $280.00...WOW! (And I thought Krieger was expensive.) Is that my best choice? And where do I go from there?

I'm sure the first question you'll all ask is: "What are you going to use it for?" Truth is that I just love to mess with guns with no particular goal.

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Welcome from Texas, Abitznutz. I've never used an aftermarket trigger on an M1A. They have a good trigger to begin with , a good M14 smith like we have in the gunsmith section can tune your trigger where it's set to 4.5 lbs and breaks like a glass rod with a good trigger job. I've never used the trigger and hammer you speak of so I can't offer an opinion on them. A operating spring guide like built by Sadlak should be included in your plans, shim and unitize the gas system, possibly have your rifle stock bedded. There's all kinds of neat hop up tricks, Just research here and ask more questions before you use start using your cash you'll save a lot.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Some pics of your weapon would be a great start also. Love to see them. Also people will put in a USGI extractor. WELCOME!!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
"I'm in SW Ohio and and recently tired. I mean retired." Funny!!!

Welcome!

Some good advice from Ray55 and Wags.

Enjoy you rifle and your time here.

Regards,
D1

·
Registered
151 Posts
+1 for the advice given by Ray. Some of us have gone through a LOT of time and money trying to find the perfect setup. It could have been saved with more research and just reading the forum to see what guys have to say about what they have done and if it helped the rifle or not.
Welcome and enjoy all the info and advice (and occasional debate).

·
Administrator
17,408 Posts
You have made a great decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often AbitzNutz.

DI5

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
If you want to tinker a bit, you could try to perform a sort of JCG M1 Match accurization protocol for the M14. I often do this to my standards.

Includes:
1. Shimming the gas system
2. Thorough lubrication
3. Securing the op-rod guide (either knurling or red loctite)
4. Stock and handguard fitting (make sure there are no rubs and the handguard is relieved from the stock and receiver; Art Luppino also described evening the front ferrule by making it parallel to the rear shelf and I'm gonna try this for sure on my future builds)
5. NM trigger modification (reduce pull weight to 4.75+ lb, remove park from contact surfaces and even rear hook/sear engagement)
6. And sometimes a NM ferrule mod if I think she can group a bit tighter
7. And sometimes tighten up the rear sight aperture by peening the rear base track and lapping in the aperture. Some do this by heating, but I have no welding equipment
8. If non-chrome lined barrel then I also cleanup the muzzle chamfer with a specific 12-flute cutting tool, very gentle to no pressure to avoid chatter

Most often with a great tube this creates a 1.5 MOA rifle.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Welcome aboard and you need to tell us more about your rifle. Such how old is it is it pre or post 94 ban and what if any USGI parts were used in its construction? The older the better is usually the best yard stick when it comes to an M-1A having lots of USGI parts. If it's new or fairly recent SAI construction then never mind, since odds are it's mostly or all commercial parts. But there's still things that we can do to help upgrade your rifle. For example, such as replacing the hammer, trigger and their respective pins with USGI M-1 Garand parts and the same goes for your bolts internal parts.

7th

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought this...I hope this is one of the better books on the M1A.

The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is a welcome from Northern Ohio. Are you close to Tusco Rifle Club? Several guys there can help you out. They are a friendly bunch of shooters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts