M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting patiently for a barrel from Jon Wolfe for a while to finish up what I need for yet another rifle build. Well it came today and I have to say even if it doesn't shoot for s##t it looks sexy as hell. I have been working on a fiberglass stock for a while. I have painted it and stripped it sanded and filled it. Somehow it just doesn't feel right. I have this rough old E2 stock that looks like it has been to hell and back. I have been waiting on the right time for this thing and I think maybe the time is now. The barrel is 18.5" and the receiver is a Springer. I have a slotted handguard that will show those flutes. What do you guys think? I may put up some pics in a little while after things quiten down around here.

·
"Death From Above"
11,923 Posts
I think you are as nuts as I am Rick. How many of these things do we need, LOL. No in all seriousness congrats on the new build. As far as the stock goes, you need to use the one that sits well with yourself. Its not a big deal to switch them out so take them both to the range when you go next and do some swapping. I wish I did not live in a commie state and could bring my E2 to the range. Until then it will pose for pictures and rest in a cardboard box.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Pics may not be my best effort, bear with me.
Edit: Third picture in this set shows the barrel index hand tight. I took a little off the shoulder to tighten with a wrench.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got back to work on this thing.I have the barrel tight and sights lined up. Everything looks good. The bolt lugs were making good contact with a minimum amount of lapping. I had a problem with the bolt rotating into battery. It took me a while to figure out where it was draging and dressed it down with a stone. I finally got it working smoth. I was linning up the op rod guide and tapping it into place and the wife warned me about making too much noise and waking the grand daughter. Most likely I will finish it tommorrow.
I may get another one of these barrels and re barrel my old scout.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
That is a great combination. The heavy fluted barrel in the old E2 stock is a unique and very appealing pairing. Great choice all around. I can't wait to see the finished product with the slotted hand guard.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More pics

I am posting this stuff so if someone is thinking about doing this for the first time they can see what possible problems might arise. BTW I tried this bolt in my LRB receiver and it rotated into batterry with no problem without any stoning. I am thinking of taking a dremel to the receiver to clean up some of that jagged edge. I don't think it was machined in this area and it could use a little more clearence.

The first pic shows a screwdriver pointing to the general area of aggrevation. the second shot is of the bolt after I have smoothed it down enough to rotate (.obvious high spots) The third is where I stoned on the receiver to match the bolt.

And last is the sexy girl naked!ICONREDFAC

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I went to the range with Jon to test some rifles he built...... He re-barreled his personal rifle with one of the fluted 18.5s - Jon shot some very tight groups at 100yd with it & i even managed to put 4 or 5rds into a golf ball sized group - The new barrels are VERY good shooters!!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JD youre really lucky to live so close to Jon he really seems like a great guy. I have emailed him and spoke on the phone several times.
So I thought I had the problem with the bolt rotating solved, but it kept hanging up. I broke down and got the dremel tool after it. I looked at a couple of other receiver's before I decided this was the problem. The dremel seems to have done the trick. The next post is of it all together.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More or less finished

After a little more work with the dremel tool just to blend it in nice I finished putting it together. I still have some minor things to do and it is dry (no grease) because I am going to tear it back down and touch up the finish. I found out that you can't attach a bayonet with this short of a barrel.
Edit: I know the bolt has no guts yet. I am a little dissapointed in the way the hand guard/ barrel looks. I probably won't keep it like that. The barrel is right up on the hand guard kinda reminds me of opening the hood of a Nova and seeing a big block.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.