M14 Forum banner

New build...barrel decisions

1034 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  neiltus
Building a new m14 from a few cmp parts kits that I have & lugged LRB receiver and am on the fence with either a Krieger medium weight stainless in 1/12 or stepping it up to a heavy weight in 1/10.

Right now I am leaning towards the HW as I might put a scope mount on it on occasion...

I plan to play around with it in service rifle...

your thoughts or experiences?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Built the same rifle with a heavy 1/10 Krieger. Dropped it in a McMillan stock now it has a chance in competition. I think you will be happy with either one. Why the 1/12 rot though? What rounds do you plan on competing with?

· Registered
480 Posts
Had an 18.5" Kreiger Stainless med-weight barrel installed on my M1A. It has a 1:10 twist & shoots both the 147 & 168 grain bullet with excellent accuracy. Go medium weight, stainless, 1:10 & you be very happy with the results.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
If you are going to carry it around for other things and occasionally shoot in service rifle, get the medium weight.

If you are going to shoot service rifle and occasionally haul it around, get the heavy weight.

Either way.....you're going to wind up getting another purpose build rifle later GI1

· MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,047 Posts
If you are going to carry it around for other things and occasionally shoot in service rifle, get the medium weight.

If you are going to shoot service rifle and occasionally haul it around, get the heavy weight.

Either way.....you're going to wind up getting another purpose build rifle later GI1
Could not agree more. The MAIN advantage of the heavy barrel for National Match shooting is the extra weight of the barrel means it takes LESS time to get back on target in timed and rapid fire because the barrel is heavier and you don't get as much felt recoil.

· Registered
709 Posts
My philosophy on decision making:

"The harder it is to make the decision, the less important the choice is. Flip a coin."

See, the reason you can't decide is that you have all the planks of the two platforms stacked up, and they come to the same level. If they didn't stack up the same, the decision would be obvious. Go ahead, flip that coin.

On this decision in particular, "having a few cmp parts kits" makes me think finances have little part in the equation. Go ahead and build them both.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to go with the heavy in 1/10 as...1. it is a lugged receiver, 2. I already have a pretty decent rack rifle for time when I need to carry and don't need the weight...

Thanks everyone for your perspective...I appreciate your input!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.