M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't even know this rifle existed until it caught my eye on Classic Firearms. And boy did it catch my eye! From what Ive learned the BM-59 was the final version of the M1 Garand and built by Beretta to help Italy transition to 7.62 NATO.

It's basically a mag fed Garand in 7.62 with a built in winter trigger, grenade launcher/sight, muzzle brake and one gnarly bipod! It has PB stamped on most parts I can see except the receiver. Though I wish it was built on an original Garand receiver it's not. It's Beretta parts, to include the trigger, all built on a James River Armory Garand receiver. She looks and feels like a high quality build.

For the price of a standard M1A I think she's a catch but what do you all think?

Russ

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Another gorgeous rifle thanks to JRA! I love them, but I'm now working in Nor Cal and no one makes a 10 rd magazine so these are no go for me :|

·
Registered
397 Posts
Russmerle, Just so no one misunderstands, it's not a M1 receiver it's a newly machined BM59 receiver. When you get it apart the first time you'll see that below the wood line it is very different from an M1 or M14.
You've gotten further down on the dissambly than I have. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I love these rifles!!!

I have a couple of questions…….

Does the bipod mounted to the the GC effect accuracy like it does on an M1A?
Can the bipod and the grenade launcher sight be removed?

I would love a BM62 version. The original italian civilian version.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had mine out of the stock for initial cleaning but didn't compare side by side. I did see that the op rod guide and spring attach to the receiver a lot differently. Thanks for clarifying. I really thought they were JRA M1 receivers from the ad on classic.

Russ

·
Registered
397 Posts
I love these rifles!!!

Thanks.

I am told the bipod should negatively affect accuracy. I think they come off easily but have not tried.

The grenade launcher is part of the tricomp which tames the recoil very effectly, so not sure one would want to remove it.

Orginal Berettas are going to be way more $$$: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615954985

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you guys feel about hotter ammunition for these rifles? I've only shot the hertsenberger ammo but was considering some Sierra Gold Metal Match

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Nice catch , I'd love to own a BM59 or BM62 .
Quality parts , Quality rifle

Reactions: russmerle

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If someone is just sold on the BM-59, IMHO now is the best time to invest in one. The magazines for these haven't been more available and cheaper than since Springfield was involved in providing them to the U.S. and there are also other parts that have been hard to impossible to find. I don't think this situation will last for long, or likely ever repeat itself.
I've owned a couple of different patterns of the BM-59 and like them, but I personally wouldn't trade my M1A1 bush rifle for them. With enough time and money I'd have at least one of everything, but choices have to be made.
I too like the BM-62 configuration best, and if I was inclined I'd get Shuff's to put one together for me.
The gas system is mostly Garand and yes it's still going to be sensitive to gas pressure on the op-rod.

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
I love these rifles!!!

CWP, it's not a sniper rifle wannabe like our beloved M1A. It's 4"@100 battle rifle, like the FAL, G3, M14. That being said, it probably doesn't matter that the bipod is on there accuracy wise.

I looked at the bipod. It has a heavy metal strap upside down V shape with bent tabs holding a metal block the legs screw into. You can take the legs off but not that block without surgery . It wasn't meant to be readily removed.

It looks like the grenade sight can come off but you will need some special tools to unscrew it or cut it with a dremil. Like the bipod it's not intended by design to come off. In any case it doesn't weigh more than a few ounces.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
There are 10 rd original mags. I have a four of them. They were imported for the BM69 and BM62s back in the late 1960s and1980s. Very few people wanted them then.
They actually only hold 9 rounds. No mag bans back then. They were imported for hunting.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Actually a Beretta BM59 has a M1 Garand gas cylinder and was full M1 length.
Second model BM59 had a "tanker" length. M1 Garand gas cylinder with compound bent tanker type op rod.
The BM62 was the last and most practical, Beretta designed gas cylinder and straight op rod. With or without grenade / muzzle brake, bipod. Carbine length.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Shuff's said he could "no problem" build a BM62. His BM14 is very similar. I didn't get a price yet, but judging by the comps of his BM59 to JRA's BM59, I'm not sure Shuff's is in my price point for a 3-4 MOA fun gun.

I visited Sarco, in Easton, PA. They had a couple JRA BM59E's, the full length Garand, with BM mags, pretty cool!!! And, a one off, short, BM59, without the bipod, tricomp, and grenade sight, also, very cool.

Maybe we could get JRA to do some BM62 builds............

Enjoy your BM59!!!!!

More pics!!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts