M14 Forum banner

New arrival is M1A, Std, Composit Stk

809 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  m14brian 
#1 ·
All I've ordered for it so far is 20 round mags (2 EA) and a cleaning kit from SA. I've also run a patch through the chamber and bore. I believe she is ready to fire. USCGC Bibb

#3 ·
Welcome aboard Bibb, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome aboard and have yourself a great weekend. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you.

DI5

#5 ·
Are the magazines a little difficult/hard/tight to load to the M1A? Not at all, just place on an 45° angle into mag opening, push-up and back all at once. It will lock-into place.

And, do most load the magazines with stripper clips? I just load one round at a time by hand. I'm not in a rush for time...
I hope that helps you...

DI5

#6 ·
It does help; and Thanks. I'm sure to have more questions/thoughts on this rifle. One thought is why do manufactures of these type/caliper rifles identify them as .308. Why not just say they are 7.62x51 NATO and leave it at that. I'm thinking of this and the CETME. I'm thinking of stronger cases on the NATO ammo.

#7 ·
The lost art of research has not been missed place yet....

It does help; and Thanks. I'm sure to have more questions/thoughts on this rifle. One thought is why do manufactures of these type/caliper rifles identify them as .308. Why not just say they are 7.62x51 NATO and leave it at that. I'm thinking of this and the CETME. I'm thinking of stronger cases on the NATO ammo.
Now that's a question for the Ammunition §. Which has been asked more times than I can count tonight...

DI5

#8 ·
If it's a standard, the headspace is probably set to run both. You only have to stay away from heavy "light magnum" factory loads for an un-modified M1A. Stick with ammo that uses bullets from 110 grains to 175 grains. Don't use steel cased ammo or any ammo that has animals on the cover (except American Eagle, that's good stuff).

Stay away from surplus ammo with TZ, OFB or KF headstamps.

Try starting with the sticky posts here…
http://m14forum.com/ammunition/

Click the link in my signature for maintenance instructions.

Tony

#9 ·
The tight fit of mags I encountered were do to my SAI synthetic stock, both of my synthetics are a little tight for mag insertion, like XXIV CORPS says just up at an angle then rock them back into place like an AK mag, not like an AR mag that goes straight up.
I don't use stripper clips to load mags because I have an m25 which doesn't have stripper clip guide, I didn't use stripper clips when I had my M1A.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.