M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I wont lie I am a little lost if I should post this in the Modern M1A or the Original M14 side, but here it is!

My dream rifle has been an IDF M1A for a very long time... I heard about them a few years back and could never find one that I could afford. Thankfully in a world were jobs are scarce I was able to land a contracting job in Afghanistan and really put forth an effort to find one. I checked EVERY day for 5 months on the internet and Gunbroker until I found her... IDF163. She didnt come with the usual stuff, the soft case, bipod, magazines... but she did come with the scope, mount, stock and that special heel. After my bidding war, shipping problems, and then traveling home on vacation... There she was. I was excited to get her home, and kit up for the range I never did a proper introduction to the others... This caused some major tension in my house, but I didnt see it at first because I went to Iceland on vacation. When I came home, it was a mess. The IDF on one side, and some of the others on the other... It was tense. I was screaming loudly - Dont worry, No one is getting replaced, but that made them angrier. All I could do is watch. Then I reminded the SOCOM that it was only a few years ago that she came home, and everyone thought she was going to replace the others. (They were scared because I had traded an MP5 clone for the SOC16 and thought they too would be traded for M1As...) So the SOCOM came forward, sniffed the giant comb butt of the IDF, and then all was well! The IDF took her rightful place in the lineup.

Range Report.

Ok, now that I either bored you or made you disgusted with my antics, on to the good stuff!

First off, I have never really shot with a scoped rifle, and this is the first time with a fixed power at that. So I went through the rifle, did all my checks - break it down, clean it, oil/grease here and there, put it all back together with function checks. and then off to the range!

Range started at 75 and ended at 80 degrees, mostly sunny, but cross winds that played hell with my shots (Or could have been me... but no really its the wind.) At the time I did not have the bipod, so I was using a carpeted rest, from the seated. Targets at 100 and then later at 250, and a gong at 275. Ammo was cheap Paki surpluss - I didnt have any good stuff on hand, so this was an informal check and fun day. Oh wait, I lied, I had 5 rounds of good stuff, 168 BTHP in Lake City brass... My first string at 100, I put those 5 rounds in, good shooting position, good breathing, a trigger squeeze that went on for EVER (Man is it tight) and then finally 5 shots later, not a single one on the paper. Figuring it was me, I loaded 3 more rounds, fired again, nothing on paper. Each shot I focused on the fundamentals soo much the rifle scared me EACH time, which means I didnt flinch before. I went and checked the shooting stand and target nothing still. I went back to the rifle and looked at the scope... the BDC on the Nimrod scope was sent to 650m... That explains the missing shots... SOO with the BDC down to the lowest and a few more shots later, I am on paper, shooting some aweful groups, BUT I know its not the rifle its me. You will see no pics of the range because its rather embarressing, haha. I have not had trigger time in a bit over a year on rifles, and 7 months ago I was shooting trap, so I am all out of whack. But the rifle shoots nice, and its a great addition to the family. More will be posted, but I am on limited time, as I go back to Afghan next week, and still more family to visit.

Hope I didnt bore you too much! Now for a few pics!

The stand off!

The brave one steps forward!

In her rightful place amongst family!

The Nimrod:

The Mount:

The Heel I love!

The Whole She-bang!

Sorry, the pics were taken with my iPad, so they leave a bit to be desired.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention, I had to do this while the Fiance is sleeping upstairs... I could never pull this off otherwise, I can here her screaming Oy Vey! already...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
oh great! another one just got added to my must have list. I need to spend more time with my wife! GI1 Thanks for sharing, being a newbie I had no ideal what a IDF was. Now I know. Thanks again.

Reactions: SGTPinder

·
Retired
4,792 Posts
Outstanding rifle you have, as well as your awesome collection of firearms. You have great taste in firearms, "Young Sarge"GI1

Reactions: SGTPinder

·
Registered
246 Posts
I haven't heard of the IDF M14 before. I can see it was a springfield and made for the IDF but could someone please tell me a little more about them. I have a buddy here in training that was in the IDF for a few years before joining the US military.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Old Sarge, Thanks! Always a good day to see you around here!

Mski11,

The story I have been reading about and going by, well the short version...

In the 70's the US gave (or sold) 35,000 M14s to Israel for the Yom Kippur war since the French had a weapons embargo against them. They took those 35k and made 10k SWS's (sniper weapon systems). After the war, and when they established production of their weapons again (notably the Galil Sniper platform) they were trying to give those M14s back. Since they were evil evil horrible Full Auto recievers (known to spit in the eyes of old women, steal candy from babies, and are in fact the monsters under your bed at night...) the US said Nah, just destroy 'em! SAI swooped down via Cape and golden shield and said: "Wait, I shall rescue about 800 of you!" and they were spared. SAI destroyed the Horrible and the cause of Global warming recievers and made these IDF recievers and used Med Wieght NM Barrels. Most other parts are USGI, Israeli, or some recieved replacement SAI parts. Because of the rareity of these pieces they do fetch a premium online, but I think its worth the bit of history and lets face it, a really awesome 1-off reciever.

Ok, I apologize for going on and on, but really, if I stick to the facts its boring for me to type and you to read...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jersey Devil, I can't go to your link... I have been forbidden to return to GB for a long long while. Instead of being good and just buying the rifle, I found a really interesting IDF M1A case, its a hard wooded carry case. On a whim I bought that... She who must be obeyed does not like when I spend so much money so quickly... haha!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
So is your rifle full auto or just a new production SAI receiver? You said Springfield scooped up 800 but that they destroyed the receivers. I'm a little confused but find it a pretty interesting story. I'm going to tell my buddy about this tomorrow.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reciever is a Repro Semi Auto, all the evil Full Auto ones were destroyed.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Very outstanding rifle, but the one who must be obeyed is going to wring your neck if your weapons get nasty old gun oil all over her white carpet. Don't ask me how I know this to be the gospel just like Moses brought it down from the mountain... :(

7th

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Jersey Devil, I can't go to your link... I have been forbidden to return to GB for a long long while. Instead of being good and just buying the rifle, I found a really interesting IDF M1A case, its a hard wooded carry case. On a whim I bought that... She who must be obeyed does not like when I spend so much money so quickly... haha!!!
Hahahahaha..........too funny!

YOU MUST POST A PIC OF RIFLE AND WOOD CASE.......YOU MUST (yes I am shouting, hence all caps)

DIEVIL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts