M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my latest handgun addition today. REALLY clean S&W 586-4 6". Looks to have been shot very little. I had one (no dash model) that I just loved but had to sell it to help raise some funds for my escape from CA. I always swore I'd replace it when I could afford to and that time finally came to be.
These are the pics form GB because they're way better pics than I can take, but I did include the requisite cell phone pic just so you guys know I'm not pulling your leg. GI5 (bottom pic)

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Very Nice
I always liked the 586 better than the 686.
I bet it shoots good!

Reactions: sfoxwell

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
That is very clean. She will look super nice when you get the wood stocks on 'er! GI1

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Nice! From the looks of the recoil shield I bet there is zero flame cutting on the top strap. The 686 / 586 is one of the best .357 revolvers ever made, if not the best! You will have a "blast" shooting it!

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
That is very clean. She will look super nice when you get the wood stocks on 'er! GI1
I did not want to say anything but Good Lord do I hate Rubber Grips!
But if the OP Likes them I am all for it!

Reactions: sfoxwell

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
My 6" model 586 is my favorite wheelgun. Pleasant to hold with a nice crisp trigger. Mine is a 1987 "M" -01 model. I actually ditched the wood grips for it long ago and went with Pachmayr combat grips. USA2
The "M" on your frame is not part of the model # it means the gun has been recalled and repaired by the factory. You may see this on 686 no dash, 686-1, 586 no dash and 586-1 guns. If you have one of these revolvers without the "M" you can still have the recall done free of charge if you desire. The recall involved the firing pin opening and the use of hot loads causing some guns to lockup due to primer flow. GI2

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
OP nice wheel gun ya got there! I say keep the rubber, much more pleasant to shoot and better grip with sweaty hands. GI5

·
Registered
789 Posts
The "M" on your frame is not part of the model # it means the gun has been recalled and repaired by the factory. You may see this on 686 no dash, 686-1, 586 no dash and 586-1 guns. If you have one of these revolvers without the "M" you can still have the recall done free of charge if you desire. The recall involved the firing pin opening and the use of hot loads causing some guns to lockup due to primer flow. GI2

I am aware of the recall. I bought my gun new in 1987 but it is a -1 series model which came out beginning in 1986. It says M586-1 while the serial number is an AWM series so I presume it was a late production model which was modified prior to being released from the factory. USA2

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Wish this was something I could take credit for...there's just something about the lines of the 586/686 that I just really like...not to mention (my old one was) the nicest shooting revolver I've ever fired. The wood grips are traditional and all, but I'm not much of a "purist". I was never real comfortable with the wood grips but when I put a set of Hogues on my other 586, it was all together a different experience. Anyone who's ever fired a 125G full load 357 mag knows they're a handful! The Hogue grips made it a non issue.

Next, I have my eye on a 686 7 shot 4". GI5
We'll see tonight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts