M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Tuesday I put money down on 2 Ruger 10/22's. They are the new 50th anniversary editions from the contest last fall. My older boy turns 9 this fall and I thought it might be time to give him his own rifle. Then I thought the younger one won't be happy in a few years if he dosent get one, so that's where the second one comes into play. Anyway, I ordered them thinking it would be months before they came in as I have yet to even hear about anyone getting their hands on one and the shop didn't even know about that model yet. Well... They called Fri evening and both guns came in. I'm pretty excited to get my hands them, but now I need to come up with another $500 that my wife doesn't know about to spring them free. I'm also hoping it was a good choice for the boys as a first gun. I was considering the CZ 452, But I went this route.
Your thoughts are always appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The CZ's are far above the 10-22's, BUT the 10-22 is great for your purposes, young'uns can be a little rough on things and the 10-22 can take a lickin' and still do just fine.

The way you are going, the kids can concentrate on learning to shoot and safety without having to worry about a ding here or a scratch there, helps uncomplicate things.

Get the CZ for yourselfGI1.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a marlin xt22 that they have been using. It needs better sights and a smaller stock. Does anyone know if there is a youth stock for it? I've looked before and came up empty.
I can always save the new Rugers until they are older. It might be fun to wait until I can give them at the same time....

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have to echo 4th Award's post.... my father started my brother and I out on single shot .22's to conserve ammo while we were learning, and also to get us into the habit of working the bolt for reloading. When we got older and started hunting ground hogs with them, we kept 2 cartridges between our fingers on the support hand for fast follow up shots.

This is very close to the Marlin I started out with... short length youth rifle.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XTY.asp

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make as to what you think is best.

Reactions: Putty

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I handled the 50th anniversary edition at the LGS and really liked it. The only thing I would change would be a longer 22 inch barrel instead of the 18 since the rifle seems to be meant for irons.

Reactions: Putty

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
I add a + to what 4th award expert posted above.

I started on a single shot, bolt action .22. We lived through some hard times when I was a kid and I could use what ever was available. I'd dig around in the storage box of the boat and shoot corroded shorts or rat shot that I could find.

Man....... I wish I had that little rifle today.

Hobo

·
Registered
551 Posts
It's wonderful you are giving your sons rifles and teaching them to be responsible. Maybe consider taking them to an Appleseed shoot or as it is properly called a Revolutionary War Veterans Association shoot. The 10/22 is the perfect rifle for their 2 day rifle marksmanship programs where they also tell the story of Lexington and Concord. Real Americana. I bet your eyes will water up at the stories they tell about the sacrifices our forefathers made. Ideal for young kids your sons age.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's wonderful you are giving your sons rifles and teaching them to be responsible. Maybe consider taking them to an Appleseed shoot or as it is properly called a Revolutionary War Veterans Association shoot. The 10/22 is the perfect rifle for their 2 day rifle marksmanship programs where they also tell the story of Lexington and Concord. Real Americana. I bet your eyes will water up at the stories they tell about the sacrifices our forefathers made. Ideal for young kids your sons age.
I'll be honest, that was the actual intent of my plan. Get them both good instruction and technique to start solid.
I am a little torn now as I see the good points 4th award has made. I also started with a bolt action. Still love them.
I will be finishing a side job soon so I will be able to spring them free. Maybe in the next two weeks.... GI1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts