M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This rifle is a .308 M1 Garand. Has a Springfield receiver, new Criterion 1/10 barrel, NOS SA bolt, NOS gas cylinder, other parts are also NOS, or in excellent condition, and a Boyd's stock set. JY Wolfe built the rifle for me, and it looks and shoots great.

I shot only eight rounds so far, four to verify 100 yard zero, and four at 300 yards, slinged up prone. The 300 group could be covered easily by an index card, and maybe a playing card.GI6 Shot so little, because I'm going to work shortly.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Way cool.GI5

·
Automatic Rifleman
585 Posts
Did you kill all that wood with it? I have an M1 in 7.62 NATO built by Brookfield Precision Tool... real nice shooter.
Congrats! She's a beauty!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Great looking 7.62!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Congrats, that's a great looking weapon. 308, that's way nice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Georgeous,Mechanical work of art,books are written about its awesome role in history.
And still one hell of an effective weapon if called upon and of course one classic target rifle. Beautiful/timeless!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I want me one of those. Is there no end to this madness?dance2

My grandson is sitting here with me, he says "Wow that is really cool". He's almost five yrs old.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all who commented. What do ya'll think of installing a scout mount and scout scope on her? I have other .30 cal M1's and will leave them as is, but thought maybe with this one I would experiment a bit.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Are you talking about cutting an opening in the handguard and a mount that wraps around the barrel? If so if it were me I would find another handguard to try it on first. If I had more than one (I don't have any) of these I would want at least one with a scope. I say go for it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can't wait til I build my .308 Garand. I am hoping to go to CMP in the next few months to get another Field Grade and send it away to get a barrel job. Hows the recoil on them compared to a normal Garand? About the same as the M1A?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you talking about cutting an opening in the handguard and a mount that wraps around the barrel? If so if it were me I would find another handguard to try it on first. If I had more than one (I don't have any) of these I would want at least one with a scope. I say go for it.
I thought I would try one of those bolt on Amega scout mounts that replaces the handguard.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I thought I would try one of those bolt on Amega scout mounts that replaces the handguard.
I'm like Phil about that - Mr. Garand would have invented a battle scope if his M1 rifle had needed one - but I also think you're on the right track with one of the Scout type base systems that allow you plenty of choice in LER optics.

Enjoy that nice stick. It oughtta shoot with anything on the X-course Service Rifle firing line.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm like Phil about that - Mr. Garand would have invented a battle scope if his M1 rifle had needed one - but I also think you're on the right track with one of the Scout type base systems that allow you plenty of choice in LER optics.

Enjoy that nice stick. It oughtta shoot with anything on the X-course Service Rifle firing line.
I'm going to shoot this rifle as is for a quite a while. Shooting MRP and XTC is why I had this rifle built. The scope thing I'm thinking of is just for hunting this fall, and if I was to modify any of my M1's, this one would be it.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
No reason not to try it out if you want to... you can always take the amega ranges mount off and put your handguard back on. I've been really impressed with the amega mount on my boy's M1 Carbine... very sturdy. The red dot is pretty accurate, too.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Thanks to all who commented. What do ya'll think of installing a scout mount and scout scope on her? I have other .30 cal M1's and will leave them as is, but thought maybe with this one I would experiment a bit.
I have an Amega scout mount enroute for one of my Garands. I have a Scout configuration M1A and really like that so I'm thinking the same setup on one of my Garands would work just fine, too.

The nice thing about the 'bolt on' mounts is that they require no alteration of the rifle. As for scopes, I have a 2.75 Burris on my Scout and will probably go with the same general type on my Garand, or maybe a bit higher power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love the 308 in the Garand platform. I have a Roland Beaver and T26 Tanker in 308, and now in the process of trying to get a Itialian Tipo 2 Garand in 308 as well. Beautiful rifle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts