M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me a 1908 warner Swasey musket site for the 1903 over the weekend.I'v decided to build a period correct '03 to put it on.Now I need to find a 409,000 receiver to start the build as well as a the mounting bracket for the scope.If I can find one to measure I can it made by a freind with a cnc machine.I thing it will be a cool project ..I dont want to drill my '03,plus it is not the correct vintage..Any help would be appreciated......Glock

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hmm, at one point I wanted an 03A4, but without the original A4 cost.. I found a "sporterized" 03A3 on gunbroker that would fit the bill, and was able to get it pretty cheap, since they're typically shunned as having their collectable value destroyed.. (I also didn't want to do any drilling on one of my 03's)

I was able to get an A4 stock and bolt, and the parent rifle still had the GI length barrel without the front and rear sights.. So aside from the serial number of the receiver and the sight base/rings, it would be difficult to tell. All in, the rifle cost around $800 to make, and it's close enough for me :)

You might try to find what you're looking for that way..

·
Registered
39 Posts
several months ago I saw a sporterized 1903. It was an early one with the heat treatment issues, I commented to several of the vendors about it. they too were suprised it was still in circulation. asking price was like 225$

·
Registered
300 Posts
i commend your project , a worthy one for certain , and i second finding a pre-bubba to start with there are a bhunch of them around ,

a pre-bubba is the way i went as well , then after finding bolt/reciever issues i converted it to a 22 cal with an insert and an M2 bolt - no one will ever mistake this for a real one except from a distance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts