M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've posted this around....

I picked this rifle up local. Got confirmation from a 1903 researcher that it is a Marine build...but I will keep my enthusiasm to a low level. I'm just happy to find a 1903 with some nice character. I have not had much luck with Gunbroker, and missed the CMP boat.

This rifle has an excellent bore, MW of 1. I know it is below the CMP buffer of 810,000 (Lawyer number), and well above Springfield Armories 800,000,... but I will only be shooting it with ball ammo, and only once in a while.

If you're interested I can bore you with the details, just ask...

I just wanted to show the Marines here that I may have one of your brothers to take good care of. This one missed Two wars,...and was well cared for.

Slideshow:http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd281/ttraxler/1903_1918_SA/?albumview=slideshow

·
Registered
714 Posts
Please check out the headspace before firing.
You have a collector piece that needs a thorough check up before even thinking of firing.
Mil-Spec Ball is high-powered ammo.
Do you have anyway of using mild handloads first?

I have your cousin: 1918 '03, Re-barreled in 1943 and restocked into an 03A1 and tracked to within 2 numbers to a Marine Unit in the Pacific in WW-II.
It's a HN 1903 so it's fired with no issues. But it's easier on the shoulder with handloads....and still a tack-driver.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headspace is spot on. It is not a low number per Springfield Armory,..the real one. Well above the small number that were SHT in a Double Heat Treat range. The only reported 800,000 range rifle was damaged by a German 8mm chambered round.

She shoots great,....but I appreciate any care or concern for safety. I don't feel there is any unnecessary risk with this one,...600,000 S/N then I would have a wall hanger.

How did you get the S/N check? Over on Jouster?....Do you know someone who owns the SRS Books?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I ran it years ago through the SRS when it was still online. I think it may have been copied somewhere. Jouster may be able to help along with some of the military collector sites.
Then there 's the CMP forums too.
They're all military surplus..so there's records somewhere.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran it years ago through the SRS when it was still online. I think it may have been copied somewhere. Jouster may be able to help along with some of the military collector sites.
Then there 's the CMP forums too.
They're all military surplus..so there's records somewhere.
TY sir. FRG1

Oh...and a fine rifle you have there, and wonderful display. Do you have anymore pictures?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts