M14 Forum banner

NEED YOUR INPUT ...

925 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  djl4570
I recently received an email from a customer of mine who had purchased one of my camo stocks about a year ago. Evidently he has had a problem (not sure if this just "recently" started or was this way all along) with his hammer "occassionally" following the bolt home. He states that this does not happen when he puts his action back into the walnut stock.

Notice that he also states that this occurs when he "holds the trigger back" while cycling the action ....

Here is what the gentleman had to say in his email ....

customer said:
I purchased a stock from you a year or less ago. Upon firing I have noticed the hammer will occassionally follow the bolt. If I cycle the action and hold the trigger back, the bolt will follow every time. If I put my rifle back in its original walnut stock, it doesn't do this. Is there some fitting I have neglected to do?
I am somewhat confused here myself because in one breath he states "occassionally" and he also states "every time" when describing how he holds the trigger back.

Can any of you shed some light on this situation?

Thanks In Advance ...

Six
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Six, I'm not sure about how to answer this one, but let me bounce this one off you. If the trigger housing does not seat properly in relation with the reciever, hasn't there been cases where the bolt will deal the hammer a "glancing blow" and not allow the auto sear to engage the hooks on the back of the hammer. Another senerio is that some bedding or other materials are in contact with the right hand side of the automatic sear that would not allow the sear to contact with the hooks on the back side of the hammer. However, in firing the weapon, the action is rough enough to dislodge the auto sear, causing it to hook the hammer. Just my .02 worth...Mike

· Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike for replying ...

I recently received yet another email from him and he was not necessarily saying that it was just the camo stock but he has two other USGI synthetics (not camo'd) that cause his action to do the exact same thing and was wondering if I could possibly be able to tell him where to look for what may be causing this.

He also stated that Ron Smith is doing some work for him and he contacted him as well on this subject and Ron told him that a simple "stock modification" would fix the problem.

He also advised me that it was not "I" personally that camo'd his stock but rather a camo'd stock he purchased from my former partner so I have no clue what transpired there.

Thanks for your response and TomO kinda advised me of the same scenario as you have.

Six

· Registered
676 Posts
it could be the trigger. on the m14 trigger there is that little part that sticks out to the right edge. it's not there on a garand trigger. have the customer take a trigger group apart and put a garand trigger in it.

if the stock is tight i can see it's possible tohold this part of the trigger thus allowing the rifle to slam-fire.

i just tried it with the trigger group out of a rifle. the hammer can go back up without another pull of the trigger.

· Registered
4,184 Posts
sixtgunr This happened to my partners Rifle about two years ago, he bought a Birch NM stock for his SA NM rifle he put on the Stock to see what it would look like, he took it to the range to shoot it, the Rifle doubled every time he fired it( the Stock fit real tight) we put it back in to the original Stock and it quit, we put it back in the new Stock and it did it again. He had the Rifle bedded in the new Stock and it has been perfect since then.? 8)

· Registered
207 Posts
sixtgunr said:
Evidently he has had a problem (not sure if this just "recently" started or was this way all along) with his hammer "occassionally" following the bolt home. He states that this does not happen when he puts his action back into the walnut stock.
There's a couple of things that can cause this. The ear on the hammer hook is binding on the inside of the stock. Sometimes this is caused by the trigger group not seating correctly in the stock, one end too high or too low or canted to one side. Sometimes due to dimsional differences the inside of the stock may need to be relieved where the ear on the hammer hook is making contact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.