M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remmington M887 Pump Shotgun one day New, never fired.

Load all the shells, went to clear the weapon. First shell ejected great then started to get double/triple feeds resulting in jamming.

I am new to shotguns, 15 years USAF (rifles I know).

Please tell me it is user error, and learn me how to fix my ways.

I have tried five times with same results.

Disassembled magazine inspected .. twice .. looks good but same issue.

Suggestions, besides trade it for an Asrto-2000 ray gun?

Thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sounds like the shell catch is sticking open allowing the shells to slip out of the mag tube. Did you disassemble the shotgun, clean and lube it? The oils on a firearms when you buy them new are not lubricating oils, they are preserving oils and usually a little sticky to the touch. After cleaning and lubing if it is still malfunctioning contact Remington.

Afa unloading, do NOT unload a shotgun by running all the shells through the chamber. There is always the possibility of a slam fire. Instead put the safety on and slowly pull the slide to the rear and remove the chambered shell and the shell on the shell lifter through the ejection port. Leave the slide to the rear and turn the shotgun upside down. Look in the loading port and you'll see a piece of metal, the shell catch, holding a shell in the mag tube. With your thumb press it to release the shell. Then remove it through the loading port. Repeat until the mag tube is empty. That's the safe way to do it.

Marty

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger that ... Safe is good.

I did keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction, however I am sure the landlord would not be happy with the addition of a new window in the house.

I did not clean off the factory oil yet ... just read the manual and was curious to how the shotgun magazine worked. Thanks for the heads up. Slam fire bad GI3

Too late to monkey with it tonight, so I'll post Friday night after it is cleaned and test fired if the problem is still there.

Take care

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took the shotgun apart and cleaned/oiled it, then took it out into the woods to test fire.

First try - Pulled the trigger ... Boom, figured I was too slow on the Cycle ... maybe???

Second try - Loaded the shells and tried it again, Boom ... but now I am unable to move the slide to cycle the next round. Yanking it with all my might breaks it free.

Third try - Loaded the weapon, pulled the trigger Boom, cycled fast and two shells fly out. One empty and another live round. I look in through the ejection port and there is still one more live round ready to be chambered just hanging out like the third wheel on a date.

Fourth try - pick up the round off the ground clean it load the weapon again. Pull the trigger Boom, go to cycle and it is seized up again. So I yank and yank till it pops free.

Walk to the house defeated, so what do I do now? Hopefully Remington will have the answer?

More to follow

·
Registered
566 Posts
Contact Remington and look in your paperwork. There is probably a gunsmith in your area authorized to do Remington warranty work. After all your 887 is just an 870 with a 3 1/2 inch chamber.

Marty

ETA: If you have a shell on the lifter and the bolt is forward, take something not pointed like the flat edge of your house key and push the shell back in the magazine tube.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoke to Remington customer service, which was outstanding. They are sending a new trigger assembly to me, the weapon should not be double/triple feeding (the timing is off in the trigger assembly).

Some folks were sayin I was cycling the pump to slow? Should not matter how slow you cycle the weapon, when you pull the pump back to eject the spent shell all your live rounds either spit out the ejection port, jam with double feed, or fall out the bottom. I don't care how fast you think you can cycle that weapon, you're not going to beat the .10 of a second it takes to spit out multiple shells under tension from the mag spring.

I'll update once I put in the new Trigger assembly ..

·
Registered
566 Posts
When I teach shotgun, I pull the slide back slowly to control the rounds and have NEVER had the problem you had. That's why I gave you the advice I did. I'm glad Remington realized what happened and is correcting the situation.

Marty

·
Registered
839 Posts
no such thing as pumping too slow on a shotgun

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received the following response from Remington Customer Service today:

"I have a new trigger plate assembly on the way to you. You should receive it within the next 7-10 days. Thank you again for your service, and I hope this new trigger plate assembly gets you up and running for good. If you ever need anything else, feel free to contact us, and we'll be glad to help any way we can."

Once I get the new trigger plate assembly I will take pics and compare the two side by side.

The timing is off, seems simply bending tabs could correct the issue. I am not a gunsmith, and the shotgun is under warranty so I'll wait for my new trigger group to arrrive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.