M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking into buying a Socom 16, and put an undermount hand grip on it. Can anyone recommend what I need to do in detail to drill a hole in the bottom of the stock to put a handrail like in the youtube link? [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-18XtGbo3YI[/ame]. And can anyone recommend hand grips and where to find em? I really want to figure this out before I buy one. Help and info is much appreciated. Thanks all!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, looks like you can pick up rail segments even on Amazon. Just drill and mount and you're golden.

The video has a AFG from Magpul in it- if you like the look that's the one. Personally, I find a small handstop much nicer to hold for extended periods of time, but to each their own. I would recommend giving the AFG a shot on an AR with a free float tube just to see if you like it- otherwise you'll be stick with some rather big holes or some unneeded rail segments on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just buy a SOCOM II with the Viltor rails. You will have a full length top rail and two side and a bottom rail. I dropped the bottom rail to make a really nice compact carbine with out the cheese grater at your 6:00 O'clock position. Top with a 1x4x30 Busnell Elite on QD rings and you are GTG.

·
Registered
964 Posts
"Need to build Socom 16 with undermount hand rail"

When did people start substituting the word "need" for the word, "want"?

Don't go nuts after watching one video; listen to those here with some experience in alternatives that might work better for you. Some things that look good don't always work well for everyone. Any shop or friend have examples that you can actually see and feel? DI5

Reactions: swagbrdr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-

Awesome, thanks so much for the info guys! I'll be doing this in the near future. I'll go with the Magpul grip and mini rail, since it'll be less weight than the Socom II. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I did the same with my fiberglass stock, but ended up taking it off as it was too much after a while. It was nice for some applications but not for the majority of the type of shooting I normally do.

·
Forum Jester
8,421 Posts
check magpul rails on their sight.tell them what you want to do.they might be able to help you.brownells too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.