M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 18inch scout that I love shooting. I also really love the way it looks with its factory walnut stock. However when I’m running around with it, shooting and moving, switching positions quick, extra. I really can’t stop thinking about how slippery the walnut stock can be at times. Even with gloves on. So I’m looking for recommendations for any type of grip or wrap I can add on the front. BTW This is for a C clamp style grip. I’m talking about something that wraps around the hand gaurd not an angled foregrip!! just a sort of a warp, preferably something that won’t look sacrilegious on the walnut stock, or leave permanent marks. I was thinking a wrap maybe? I looked all over and can’t seem to find anything like that. I also thought about some sort of grip tape, but I would hate to leave residue.
Any suggestions or examples much appreciated

, thanks gents

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skateboarding tape maybe? Not sure how much residue it would leave behind tho. I would look for more agressive gloves IMHO.
True, I was thinking of that. I was thinking it would leave residue, but worst case I can always buy an extra cheap stock wood stock and try it out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You could use a header wrap type material that is held in place with safety wire. I would put something between it and the wood if I was really concerned about it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've used skateboard tape and it's very hard on a shooting glove.
I settled on spray adhesive. Basically a sticky residue. Works great.
This is for high power type shooting from position.
Not quite the same as what you're talking about.
The adhesive can be removed with solvent (acetone) even years later.
PG

·
Premium Member
Science Gremlin
849 Posts
Find some ranger bands (aka expensive black rubber bands) that don’t squeeze the hand guard too tight. They come in all sizes. The rubber is a great grip, they can handle heat, and you can remove it and put it back on whenever you want.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Find some ranger bands (aka expensive black rubber bands) that don’t squeeze the hand guard too tight. They come in all sizes. The rubber is a great grip, they can handle heat, and you can remove it and put it back on whenever you want.

Great idea - didn't think of that. I bought some of SOB (Sheriff of Baghdad) from Brownells for sling retention. I think they would be good in this role too.

·
Premium Member
Science Gremlin
849 Posts

The XL ones measure 3.5 inches "flattened," (which still isn't as flat as, say, folded paper), they probably have about 7.5" of total circumference. Measuring around my rifle where the handguard clips to the barrel I get about 8", and this decreases as you move toward the muzzle. I think for $9 (and free shipping!) it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
+ 1 on just buying a sheet of Talon grip's stuff. That, patience, and a proper smaller precision scissors and you can do whatever you want.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I use 777 spray glue on my match mule, and then it seeds itself with filth and grime over time. Looks ugly, but it does the job and comes off without too much work.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
We have clear vinyl no-skid pads on or hardwood steps. That might work really well. Amazon.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a 18inch scout that I love shooting. I also really love the way it looks with its factory walnut stock. However when I’m running around with it, shooting and moving, switching positions quick, extra. I really can’t stop thinking about how slippery the walnut stock can be at times. Even with gloves on. So I’m looking for recommendations for any type of grip or wrap I can add on the front. BTW This is for a C clamp style grip. I’m talking about something that wraps around the hand gaurd not an angled foregrip!! just a sort of a warp, preferably something that won’t look sacrilegious on the walnut stock, or leave permanent marks. I was thinking a wrap maybe? I looked all over and can’t seem to find anything like that. I also thought about some sort of grip tape, but I would hate to leave residue.
Any suggestions or examples much appreciated

, thanks gents
Rough sanding on precise grip area. Forearm too!!! The seal wood!

·
Registered
832 Posts
The previous owner put this rubber stuff on, never tried to remove it because it works great. Looks precut.
I don't know where to get it.
KIMG0471.JPG

KIMG0470.JPG

·
Registered
139 Posts
There is a product that can be picked up at you vet hospital/ doggie dr’s office. It’s called equine wrap or a variation on animal flex wrap bandage. It’s self sticking to it self and water proof. It’s made essentially for bandaging horse legs and it comes in various widths on a roll about the size of a can of soda. It has a rubbery/grippy texture It also comes in various colors. It is also inexpensive. We would use it in rifle clinics to build up grip areas and cheek weld areas on numerous style rifles stocks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I use outdoor anti slip tape made for stairs. The rubber type that has no sand.
You can get wide or narrow rolls and it's not expensive. I use it mainly on old milsurp rifles with smooth buttplates to keep them from slipping. I've also used it in grip areas, and peel it off when I'm done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts