M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a preban Armscorp M1A with all USGI parts (TRW except the Op Rod which is Springfield Armory) accept the barrel. The parts came from an older select fire Springfield Armory M1A and it has a barrel which, from what I have read, is Numrich barrel.

I wasn't going to buy it because I wanted an all USGI rifle but the dealer, an AWESOME guy who is also a Class three dealer and has REAL M14s and select fire M1As said it was no problem he had a bunch of USGI barrels out back and would rebarrel it for me. He wanted me to shoot it first so he would know how the barrel shoots.

I took it out Thursday and it shoots very well, but I want USGI.

I'm going in next week to swap barrels. I know SAK and TRW are supposed to be excellent. Since I'm not sure what makes he has or how they gauge I wanted your opinions on which USGI barrels to choose if given a choice. I also have a MW and TE gauge from my garands to check the barrels first.

Advise please!

On a side note he had 5 preban SAs (20Kish serial numbers) one with a SAK NM stamped barrel that I didn't get. Any idea of value on these?

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I also have a preban Armscorp reciever with USGI parts. I bought the barreled action w/stripped bolt along with all the other parts from Armscorp at the same time. Everything was H&R I thought. It turns out my barrel was and still is a Springfield barrel. Considering this is a rack grade service rifle, the darn thing is a tack driver. I later put a TRW bolt and N.M. triggergroup on it, but it shoot great from day one and still does. Much better than a service barrel is supposed to shoot. If it ain't broke, why fix it. I'd pick the extra barrel up if it is in good shape and try like heck to wear your old barrel out. All barrel makers made some very good shooters, as well as so so barrels. If you have a shooter shoot it, JMHO. Also, you may end up with a barrel that has seen more rounds than the one on your rifle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chrome Lined Barrels & Such

Are there any sources for good chrome-lined barrels out there? If so, how much are they asking for them?

Also, this is a bit esoteric, but..., anyone make hammer forged, polygonal rifled, chrome-lined barrels for M1As? I was thinking of contacting Lothar Walther.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Keep the Barrel thats on there and wear it out, Buy a GI Barrel to have as a Replacement. P.S. you can not use a M1 TE Gage on an M-14. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little update.

I brought my gauges and you are right I can't use my Garand TE guage for a reading but it worked for a general comparison.

My MW gauge worked great.

Barrel #1 = less then 1 MW
Barrel #2 = 1 MW
Barrel #3 = 1 Mw

I had barrel one installed. Oh yeah and it had some markings too, is TRW 7791362 3/66 with NM stamped on the top front of the barrel good?

I also bought an Armscorp NM M14 reciever, barrel #2 a USGI SA barrel that was also NM and a USGI SA bolt for $695

I'm a VERY happy camper!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.