M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have been a long time lurker...I just decided to register finally :D

I love my m1 and m14 platform. They work flawlessly, never had a failure in any way shape or form. They are absolutely beautiful guns.

I have owned around 7 garands, currently 5 and have had 3 m14's in my possession over the years. The first was an early m1a with all USGI parts - sadly I needed to sell it because of personal reasons. I still kick myself relentlessly about this...it was such a beauty. I miss her. I went so far as to contact the owner to see if he would sell it back. "Cold dead hands" was the response...

Currently I have a norc m305 which is OK - it needs work. I don't have the know-how and we don't have as many m14 gurus in Canada like you do in the USA. The other is a standard m1a in walnut which is my go to gun both at the range and in the bush. Plan on taking it fall bear, deer and my backup moose gun. Currently it is irons only.

I am looking into importing a complete rifle from the USA and I am TORN as to what to pick!! I want a rifle that I can scope and have a solid platform (I do have an ARMS #18 that I can use). This will mostly be a range gun 200-600m, I could see taking it hunting, but this isn't absolutely imperative. I can always scope the m1a and continue to take that hunting.

What has crossed my mind is a m14 JRA with USGI parts 22" USGI contour vs an LRB m25 medium match custom build. The components I was thinking for the LRB include
- 22" chrome lined 1:11" med match Criterion
- unitized gas
- Mostly USGI parts with some NM upgrades.
- Minelli stock

I am not going to be shooting in matches, this gun is just for me to poke around with at the range and in open areas for long distance shooting.

Currently the optic is a 2.5-8x Leupold MRT, I would like to upgrade to an NF scope in the future.

I guess what I am not really sure about is the medium barrel and the integral scope mount on the m25. Other than that the parts will be sort of similar and then you have the chevy/ford thing going on with JRA/LRB.

any help would be appreciated. Or feel free to flame me and tell me to grow a set and just pick something GI3

thanks and great forum BTW
BB

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If you're punching holes in paper for a range day, and not in matches, I'd save the $$$ on the LRB and go with the JRA. With the savings, you can get that NF scope faster.

Even if you were going to use it in matches, what kind of accuracy difference would you really see between the two setups you're considering? (It's a genuine question as I have no idea but it's something to think about. )

And Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're punching holes in paper for a range day, and not in matches, I'd save the $$$ on the LRB and go with the JRA. With the savings, you can get that NF scope faster.

Even if you were going to use it in matches, what kind of accuracy difference would you really see between the two setups you're considering? (It's a genuine question as I have no idea but it's something to think about. )

And Welcome to the forum!

I appreciate the commentary! You definetely speak the truth - the LRB might not be worth the money for what I want it for...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Rockola M21 DMR Receiver $895.00

Rockola M21 DMR Receiver $895.00

No need for the scope mount .

·
Registered
506 Posts
LRB M25 and the best barrel you can swing (med weight Krieger)? You will be happy you did. I agree with Stormtrooper on this one.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
LRB m25 with a med or heavy chrome-moly, non-chrome lined barrel. If my LRB m25 were a woman I would marry her. Does it shoot any better then my SAI loaded? No, but its finish, and action and feel are better and scope mount is better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input!!!

I had a full JRA swing for a moment, now I'm back to m25 :D

I want to finish on a Norc re-build first and then I'd like to get the LRB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts