M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bush rifle seems to be shooting low. At 25 meters my POI is about 8" low with my rear sight set 8 clicks up. It looks like my rear sight will need 22 to 24 clicks to be zeroed for 250 meters based on a 25 meter target I printed off from the forum. Does this sound normal? I'd like to keep my rear sight as low as possible. I had a hooded gas lock front sight installed, could the post itself be too tall?

Thanks for helping guys!

·
Registered
184 Posts
frount post to tall

Yes, I bielieve your frount sight needs to be filed down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The SEI gas lock front sight come in two different heights....one for 22 in barrels and one for 18 in barrels. You may be able to exchange if you have the wrong one or, as Arty Fo suggests... get out the file.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I ordered the front sight I told them it was for an 18" barrel. I'm guessing that's the problem also. How many clicks on the rear sight do y'all usually need for 250 meters?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you have the SEI hooded front gas lock sight.? The sight is adjustable with an allen wrench. I set my rear sight down all the way and used the front sight adjustment to zero at 100 yards.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am up about 8 clicks at 100 yds on my 18" barrel haven't counted to 250 yds but would guess about 12-14 clicks. I usually look at the markings on the sight knob and they are fairly close.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My Bush rifle seems to be shooting low. At 25 meters my POI is about 8" low with my rear sight set 8 clicks up. It looks like my rear sight will need 22 to 24 clicks to be zeroed for 250 meters based on a 25 meter target I printed off from the forum. Does this sound normal? I'd like to keep my rear sight as low as possible. I had a hooded gas lock front sight installed, could the post itself be too tall?

Thanks for helping guys!
I may be reading this wrong, and if so please correct me, but if your rear sight is set at 8 clicks from the bottom, and you are hitting 8" low, instead of filing your front sight down wouldn't you need to raise the height of the front sight to raise your POI?

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you are on at 25m you will be on at 250m. If you are low add more clicks up. I had a regular barrel shortened to 18.5" and added the taller sight to get back to normal so to speak, as it had bottomed out the rear sight. I think you will like the balance the 18" barrel has i do. Later 1911Ron

·
Banned
2,325 Posts

Thanks for helping guys!
Hey bud, the front sight will need to be shorter to keep your rear sight as low as possible. The normal is 8-10 clicks up from bottom, to zero at 100. Rear sight moves direction you want the round to go, the front sight moves opposite where you want the POI to go. I might have a shorter one somewhere, let me look, and let me know if you don't find one.

At 25 meters, or 82 1/2 feet, you should be hitting about 2-2 1/4" high, for a good battle zero. This usually translates in most commercial models, to 10-12 clicks., with a 22" barrel and military ball ammo.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may be reading this wrong, and if so please correct me, but if your rear sight is set at 8 clicks from the bottom, and you are hitting 8" low, instead of filing your front sight down wouldn't you need to raise the height of the front sight to raise your POI?
Tampa, I may be wrong, but shortening the front sight means I would have to raise the muzzle for the same POI. Does this make sense?

I am using a SEI hooded GLFS Cat Doctor. I hoped it would adjust by loosening the allen screws, that sure beats filing it down.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Beat me to the reply Rip.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey bud, the front sight will need to be shorter to keep your rear sight as low as possible. The normal is 8-10 clicks up from bottom, to zero at 100. Rear sight moves direction you want the round to go, the front sight moves opposite where you want the POI to go. I might have a shorter one somewhere, let me look, and let me know if you don't find one.

At 25 meters, or 82 1/2 feet, you should be hitting about 2-2 1/4" high, for a good battle zero. This usually translates in most commercial models, to 10-12 clicks., with a 22" barrel and military ball ammo.
Rip, how many clicks with an 18" barrel? I'm using Winchester Q3130, 147 grain hardball.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
It should be pretty close to the same, or so. The POI will not change that much at 25 meters for 4" of barrel length.

Have you checked the sight base and the receiver sight deck for any rough or high spots ? Sounds like its time to dig out the old trusty file GI3

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Heya Hat!

Set your rear sight 4 clicks up from bottom. Loosten the hex on the GLFS-H and pull the sight wire up 1/8 of an inch. Take that hex to the range and use the front to set zero elevation. Be sure to leave at least 4 clicks up for ammo compatability changes.

TV

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
With that front site I would do pretty much what 7.62 said; set the rear elevation at a reasonable setting, say somewhere around 6 clicks up, and then adjust the front pin until I hit dead on at 25 yards. That should make you dead on at 250 yards with that load or pretty close to it.

Right now your front site is too high and that forces your POI to be low. You have a couple of options;

1. Raise the rear sight to about 16 clicks and you should be pretty close to being on the money.
  2. Lower the front pin by adjusting it or filing it down.

It all comes down to how many clicks of rear elevation you want when you are sighted in. If you don't mind it being at 16 clicks to be sighted in at 250 yards then just raise the rear peep sight. If you don't want the rear that high then put it where you want it and adjust the front pin so that you are on at 25 yards and that should put you on at 250 also. I would want a little wiggle room for up and down adjustment and that's why I would recommend using 6 clicks up if you tweak the front sight pin. Also, don't forget that you may want to use other ammo and you would need elevation adjustment room to sight in.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, I really appreciate all the help! This info confirms what I thought but I wanted to ask instead of wasting ammo. As luck would have it, I have allen wrenches too small and too large for the front sight. Oh well, had to go to the hardware store any way GI2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts