M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***New pics added***

I know a thread has already been started about the "Tanker"
M1, but being that I am a newb I wanted some info please. I just got this M1 converted in 308 w/the shorter "tanker" barrel. I did some research andread about these having receivers that are welded together and some might not be safe. I took it apart today and did not see any signs of welding. Shot it afterwards and it functioned flawlessly. I included some pics to see if anyone has any feedback or sees anything wrong with it they might want to point out.
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Your pics are too small to see. The easiest way to tell if welded is to inspect inside the receiver. If there is any evidence of reweld it'll show up there. I had to send a BM62 back that was a reweld just last month and while it looked O.K. outside you could not miss the file/grind/rough millings and welding pits.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What JC said, post larger pics....inspect inside of receiver and check draw #s on front leg to see if they match the "born on date" of receiver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about previous pics, maybe these will come out larger. I did not see any weld marks when I took it apart, but will disassemble completely and look where you suggested. Any other input appreciated.
Thanks & Merry Christmas

·
Registered
57 Posts
Resolution on pics makes it hard to really tell. What #s are on the front receiver leg and what are the 1st 4 on the receiver?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will have to get back on you on that one, I am at work, will have my son pull it out the safe and I will post it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Resolution on pics makes it hard to really tell. What #s are on the front receiver leg and what are the 1st 4 on the receiver?

1st 4 on receiver Springfield 2546
operating rod 7790722-RA
Numbers on receiver leg-D2829132
and right above those numbers it has-B160 GG
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
57 Posts
1st 4 on receiver Springfield 2546
operating rod 7790722-RA
Numbers on receiver leg-D2829132
and right above those numbers it has-B160 GG
Thanks
Ed
2.546xxx=February 44 build.
Op rod = 7790722 regular, sniper and national match till end of production, according M1 Garand Armory site.
D28291 32 seems to me to be the correct draw # for a 2.5 mil SA. Unlikely its a reweld, but better pics would help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it apart and did not see any weld marks. Will post better pics when my wife gets back w/camera.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Heat lot # O59<> or A 14 <>. If these #s along with diamond acompany the the D 28291 32 on the front leg of the receiver I would wager that the receiver was not a reweld. And I am not a betting man.....the heat lot and draw #s were provided to me by a gentlemen over at the ODCMP site, theres wealth of information over there should you need it.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Just because it is the correct drawing numbers does not mean it cant be a welded receiver. Only way to know for sure is inspect for pitts on the weld and a different color of the park over the weld

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I don't understand why you think that it might be a re-weld.....

A standard 30-06 M1 does not need any changes to the receiver for it to work with a 308Win barrel. The conversion to 308Win is just a simple barrel change. For a 'tanker' conversion, I don't think there are any changes to the receiver.

Does the receiver on your rifle seem (or measure) any different that on a regular GI M1?

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since I am going shooting tomorrow, I took it completely apart. I did not see any weld marks, swirls, etc... As far as I can tell it appears to be one solid piece. Guy I am shooting with tomorrow does welding so I will know for sure tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well took it to the range today and it worked great, my friend, my son, and I were hitting the target with iron sights at a 100 yds. After the barrel cooled down I took it apart and my buddy that welds told me without a doubt the receiver has not been welded. Very happy with it

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't understand why you think that it might be a re-weld.....

A standard 30-06 M1 does not need any changes to the receiver for it to work with a 308Win barrel. The conversion to 308Win is just a simple barrel change. For a 'tanker' conversion, I don't think there are any changes to the receiver.

Does the receiver on your rifle seem (or measure) any different that on a regular GI M1?

Jay Kosta

Endwell NY USA

Many M1s receivers were "demilled" or cut up and thrown in a the scrap heap. Some talented individuals welded receivers back together rebarrelled and sold those M1s to the public. Many were sold as rewelds, many were passed off as good. There arises the conundrum, are rewelded receivers safe to fire????

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I have a rewelded receiver which is converted to .308 and M14 mag feed. Have fired over 2,500 rounds through it with no problems. My brother had a reweld in .30-06 that has probably two thousands rounds through it with no problems. We bought both of these rifles not knowing they were rewelds and fired most of the rounds before we discovered it.

However, this is not a recommendation to fire a rifle with a rewelded receiver. It is your decision and responsibility to take a chance firing a rifle with a rewelded receiver!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts