M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I respectfully request some advice.

My wife announced today she wants to get me an M1A for our anniversary; $1,000 is the budget (that's what we can afford based on where we are in life, kids etc).

I carried the M-14/M-1A while on active duty with the Navy. I have been researching the SAI M-1A for quite some time; I read that they are solid rifles, with some complaints that parts break, which the warranty covers uncoditionally. I heard buying older M-1As with more USGI parts are better

I picked up a Service Grade M1 Garand from the CMP and competed in a few matches this year (I love that rifle!), in particular the JCG Match at Camp Perry. I want to shoot my M-1A at Service Rifle matches (the AR doesn't really appeal to me).

My questions:

1) Can a M1A standard compete in as issued category matches?

2) Should I go with new or used M-1A?

3) My plan was to either pick up a M-1A on either the PX here or GB. Any tips?

4) Is the SAI warranty really honored on used guns?

· Registered
2,283 Posts
I sold a loaded m1a for $1100 around 100 rounds through her. I decided I wanted a socom. Afterwards I swore to myself I would never sell an m14 again.

Personally I think saving $1500 is best. I would look on here, gunbroker, or if you want to make payments over time like I do then I would pick up a M1a Standard or Loaded which ever you are more interested in from BudsGunShop. I would get the Synthetic stock version.

Once the rifle is in your hands take the 100$ or so dollars you saved by getting the synthetic and go in the classifieds here on the forum and watch for Doug Carlton, KurtC, Cv60Sailor, and Duce for stocks they are selling. Doug Carlton usually sells USGI exotic hand finished stocks for a premium, Kurtc sells all different sorts of stocks that are nice, CV60Sailor sells USGI stocks that are straight from storage original finish and great deals, Duce usually sells nice hand finished USGI stocks. Get a birch or walnut from one of these guys.

And then get a hand guard from Fulton Armory or use the hand guard that came with the stock if one came with it. Then sell your synthetic stock and hand guard here on the classifieds for 50-75 dollars and then use that money to shim the rifle maybe get a couple 20 round CMI magazines.

· Registered
17,185 Posts
Most Service Rifle targets have a 10 ring that is about 2.5moa. The M1A Standard is certainly capable of that with match ammunition, especially if you get one in an oversized wood stock.

USGI parts do not make a rifle accurate.

Now and then a used M1A turns up for around $1k. It won't be on GunBroker of the other auction sites. Check you local shops. Have some trading fodder ready.

· Registered
1,523 Posts
WELCOME from Texas V. As guys advise below advise. I'd be checking here in our PX FIRST. The integrity of the men belonging to this Forum is second to NONE. There have been very recent deals here, probably now too and w/in the past yr., or more that one day will be a memory insofar as quality/USGI Parts (Quality and "provenance" vs. accuracy)/and for sure price. There are some good sellers on GB, but I would NEVER (EVER) buy a complete allegedly functional firearm off GB without at least a 3 DAY INSPECTION PERIOD. If you find a rifle that's sounds great, price w/in your range, and seller says return etc. 'as is".. he can keep it "as is". I've seen it "unspecified", but you can always ASK, and I have. Sometimes they don't bother to respond which is the last tell for me personally.

On he other hand, SAInc. comes w/that lifetime waranty. guarantee. There have been some reports of problems with "newer" SAInc. M1A's, but they sell so many of them it may well be this way statistically insignificant - except for who it happens to. And that SAInc. waranty can't be beat. Earlier SAInc's are solid... there's threads here on specifics that contain advice on this by guys knowing well more than me. Good luck. You'll be fine.

· Registered
137 Posts
I went synthetic and also just got one of CV60Sailor's offerings.

Compared to Fred's descriptions, it's a steal/deal at the price (included two day shipping and a hand guard!). Never been in a parking lot. Needs cleaning and then I'll likely refinish it or at least touch up oil it for now. The stocks get hit quick on the PX for the ones that pique someone's interests, grain pattern, wood, colors,etc. So it's like two for the price of one (or better) if you spend a little time looking and then some hands on time.

Synthetic Standards run $1399 at the lowest (that I found) price shop near me (if they have them in the CA version) and somewhat more at other shops. Whether that price holds up on a internet/mail buy through a local ffl, shipping and transfer costs might push it up some, of course.

· Registered
4,020 Posts
I can't answer the competition part for me, but I've seen the splashes in the berm and good holes in paper at 600yds.

Keep an eye out here for ones to show up in the PX. I got my standard for 1500 that was all GI parts and well cared for. Save a couple extra bucks and if that sweet deal pops up, jump on it. I'd rather deal with a member here than try buying a new one. You may end up with some GI parts where the fresh from the box won't have any. If you do get new in box, do yourself a favor and get a couple GI extractors now. We've been seeing reports of broken extractors with very low round counts.

Welcome, and use that search bar up top. You never know what you'll find here and I seem to learn something new everyday.

· Banned
4,266 Posts
I just got a new Scout FDE on GB, and thought $1,327 was a great price. Accuracy is sub 2MOA with Tula steel ammo. I've got over $2000 invested, with scope, mount, sling, GI buttplate, cheekpad, extra mags, etc..

Reactions: Gladiator0719

· Registered
2,464 Posts
Don't even consider buying a new M1A, i work on M14s on a daily basis & know the newer rifles are poor in quality compared to earlier versions. I would urge you to go with a low mileage 14 in the lower #100K SN# range. This forum is absolutely the best way for someone new to 14s to get a killer M1A without getting screwed. Place a WTB ad, purchase from a respected member & you WILL have a keeper....

Good luck & God bless
JD

· Registered
4,986 Posts
I would urge you to go with a low mileage 14 in the lower #100K SN# range.
My 107xxx Loaded is all USGI as far as I can tell. A lot of people would skip over a post-ban M1A for a pre-ban one, but just about every M1A I've seen that was sold during the first few years of the AWB (the start of the neutered flash suppressors) is all USGI. Mine's a 1997 model.

Ironic, eh?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.