M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this probably isn't the correct place to put this but I wasn't sure where to go with it.

I got a Steel 4th gen scope mount direct from SA about a month ago, and got a chance to try it out this past weekend. The mount didn't work well for me and I wrote up a range report here in the scopes sub-forum.

http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=93629

I called springfield today and they won't let me return the mount. My only option is to send in the mount, my rifle, and scope and they will replace it if they find it defective.

Well first of all I don't want to go through the hassle of sending my rifle to them. Secondly I strongly suspect all they are going to do is reinstall the mount and say it's good and send it back. And finally I already decided I didn't want to deal with this setup and the pain in the butt it's been so I sold the scope I was using to someone already, and put my scout scope back on the forward rail since that works even tough it has less magnification that what I'd like.

I'm not sure what to do now. I can't really afford to take a 200$ loss on the scope mount and from what I've read about their history with mounts and my experience with this mount I frankly don't even want it on my rifle.

I've been a springfield customer since I bought my 1911 loaded on my 21st b-day 10 years ago but it's looking like they lost a life long supporter in me.

I'm really bummed out right now and I don't know how to proceed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You may try selling the mount on the PX and taking a slight loss.. if is not defective..I've have had bad scopes, I've sent back and often times they (companies) will just say that the model has been discontinued.. or looks like someone took it apart..or what ever they make up to not have to fix replace or refund it.. it's sad but a lot of people will just not spend the time on the phone on hold or write letters to get a problem solved.. and the companies know it.. I had that happen with a scope and a laser range finder made by bushnell they refused to replace them...So I will never buy a bushnell product again.. if it defective springfield should fix it.. but they may not refund your $$ no matter what is wrong.. they may just give you a new one.. B2B

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
+1 on the selling it in the PX area on this forum. Some shooters like the 4th gen and will probably take it off your hands with very little loss. You won't know until you try.

·
Registered
182 Posts
+1 on the selling it in the PX area on this forum. Some shooters like the 4th gen and will probably take it off your hands with very little loss. You won't know until you try.
Thanks for the advice on putting it on the PX area. Honestly I didn't know if trying to sell it because I had problems with it would be a good idea, someone might accuse me of trying to sell damaged goods. But I was as forthcoming as possible with my post there so maybe someone will be interested.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
If I was a betting man I'd wager that the problem lies in the receiver on your M-1A. I've heard that folks have even had problems when trying to mount a first generation mount on an M-1A due to the receiver not being even close to Milspec.

7th

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
No company has to take a return, they do it just for customer relations. But returns got so bad that companies have really tightened up. You wouldn't believe the big screen TV's people aren't happy with right after the Super Bowl. The fine set of china being returned the week after Thanksgiving, with cranberry stain.
The camcorder that comes back the first week of January. I could go on but you get the picture. It really gets old trying to protect yourself.

In the case of the scope mount it probably has some small marks where someone else would refuse it. I'm not trying to accuse you of anything but it's hard to put metal together without leaving a mark. Springfield doesn't want to throw it away so they have a no return policy. I hope this helps you see both sides of the problem.

I agree with the others, I'd put it on the PX. It will probably be cheaper than Best Buys restocking charge. GI2

·
Registered
166 Posts
Send the entire mess, rifle, scope and all, back to SA.

Put it on them to make it right.

It's their product.
Hold them to their warranty.

Who knows?
You might get a new rifle or new mount.

·
Registered
581 Posts
+1 for Captain America's advice. Then you will know the real issue, hopefully. You should then be able to keep or sell with confidence. Is SAI paying shipping both ways?

John

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Send the entire mess, rifle, scope and all, back to SA.

Put it on them to make it right.

It's their product.
Hold them to their warranty.

Who knows?
You might get a new rifle or new mount.

YEP... sucks that you have to do that to hold their feet to the fire BUT from what i hear, they usually make good on it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I use to have a SA M1A Standard I bought back in 2005 NIB. I tried 3 different scope mounts then gave up and sold the rifleGI4.

What a waste.....

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Guys, he's already sold the scope and put the Scout mount back on the barrel. Plus he just doesn't like the mount. No reason to send it back to Springfield.

Techvoodoo, I saw where you posted the mount in the PX. You were just honest to the bone in what you said about it. You're a stand up guy!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Does Springfield Inc. put the out of spec scope mount recievers on rifles with scout mounts on the barrel? I may be totally wrong on this but I would get one of the guages from Sadlak and see if it is in spec.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, he's already sold the scope and put the Scout mount back on the barrel. Plus he just doesn't like the mount. No reason to send it back to Springfield.

Techvoodoo, I saw where you posted the mount in the PX. You were just honest to the bone in what you said about it. You're a stand up guy!
Thanks high hat. I didn't want to miss-represent it so hopefully i was forthcoming enough.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to say that my experience with Springfield Armory was better than I ever expected and they made me a believer.

Not sure if you all are familiar with the Springfield scopes. I bought a NM M1A that has a Springfield 4-14x56 3rd Generation 7.62 scope. First time on the range, I can't get this scope to hold zero. I called SA and they apologized for the trouble I was having with my 2nd hand scope, that they don't make anymore and asked if I could please send it back to them as they still had a tech that could repair it. They even sent me a fed-x label by email. One week later the tech calls me, again apologizing for the trouble and tells me he has gone through the scope and didn't find a lot wrong. He reset the paralax and tightened up a couple of things and sent it back to me, again paying the freight asking that I please try it out and report back. The scope sighted in fine and now holds a zero. Long and short of it, I am sold on their warranty and customer service. BTW, I did replace the gen 3 mount with a sadlak airborne while the scope was being repaired, And no, it wasn't the mount because I was able to mount another scope (same gen 3 mount) that held a zero just fine. I guess YMMV ...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wrote some things in your optics review about the mount that you should take a look at. I suspect you may need to take a closer look at the mounting instructions.

Also that mount has a decent amount of adjustment built into it that you are not taking advantage of.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I've been a springfield customer since I bought my 1911 loaded on my 21st b-day 10 years ago but it's looking like they lost a life long supporter in me.
Unfortunately, you're not the only one. I've seen numerous complaints about Springfield Armory posted in this forum and have had problems with their products myself-one being a 1911A1 and the other being my M1A. They do have good customer service and they will fix whatever's wrong at their expense if you're willing to ship it to them. But I for one don't like paying premium prices for things that have to be sent back after their first trip to the range. I'm sure plenty of people here have had no problems with SA and that's fine, to each his own, but I've been done buying from them for some time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts