M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to dress my S&W 66-1 up with some nice wood grips. Currently she is wearing some functional but ugly as sin Pachmayrs. The options I was choosing between are the following:
1. S&W factory Target grips.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=626252

2. S&W factory Magna grips.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=153409

3. Ahrend's grips S&W Retro Target Stock. (Top photo on the following page)

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm

The Targets were initially the most attractive to me. However they are a bit wide & bulky for my hand. I checked out the Ahrend's & was almost sold, but I would definitely prefer checkering if it is an option. Any input from all you other S&W owners would be appreciated! Also any other suggestions are welcome. I don't really want to spend more then $80 though. Thanks everyone.
~MKD

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
+1 on the Ahrends! S&W's just look right with them!GI6

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
My 66 has those Pachmyr's, but my 686 came with the S&W Target grips and while my hands are somewhat smallish, they still fit me okay. The 686 was my first privately owned duty revolver and the last before I went with a semiauto. I installed a set of slimline Pachmyrs on it and only carried it for a year. The Pac's are pretty utilitarian and the target grips are very nice looking.

Those Ahrends are gorgeous!!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I would vote against the Magnas... while they look nice (my Smith 57 wears them when I'm NOT shooting) they just punish your hand when you fire anything but light target loads with them. I swap out Pachy Grippers for both my 57 and 686 when I actually shoot them.

I have big hands and I don't like the Smith Target grips, either.

It looks like Ahrend took the bottom swell out of the Smith grip, making it fit the hand better. I like those!

I don't really care for checkering on wood, functionally I don't think wood checkering does a whole lot for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have Herrett grips on my revolvers. If they're out of business, you can find them on on sites like ebay, gunbroker, where I found a set at resonable cost.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Take a look at Craig Spegel's custom grips. They are available through him direct and through other dealers like Lightning Arms Sports. He will make them with or without checkering in boot style or full, round or square butt and can even make a pair to make your round butt into a square butt if that is your cup of tea. He uses a large variety of woods. Not cheap but not out of line either. They are similar in cost to Ahrends grips. Depending upon what someone has in stock they can take a while to get 3 to 4 months. But are worth the wait. I have them on a couple of my S&W's. He was the designer for the old Butler Creek/Uncle Mikes rubber boot grips and his own wood grips are about the same design.

The grips on both of my 2.5" S&W's are boot grips that S&W used on some of their low number limited issues about 10 years ago and are a boot grip similar to a Spegel. I like them pretty well but haven't seen them for sale in a long time.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback! It really helped me narrow it down to the Ahrend's. I am going with the Retro Targets as soon as I decide what wood to opt for. Maybe I will get some pics up when the grips arrive. Thanks again guys.
~MKD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts